Chapter 53

Dedicated Chapter Song: Empty - PVRIS

You see, I want the world to believe that there's a light inside of me. But it's time that I come clean; I'm not what I seem, no.

      Anna paced nervously in her cell, her hair spilling down her back and she was dressed in a dark brown and white gown, which was her underdress

      Anna paced nervously in her cell, her hair spilling down her back and she was dressed in a dark brown and white gown, which was her underdress. Her eyes lit up when she heard the keys jingle to her cell and saw Levi with an MP guard. "Anna," he walked over to her cell. She smiled sadly at him. "We're going to get you out of here." he leaned his forehead against the bars. They hadn't seen each other in 3 days, as she was under strict custody of the Military Police. Today was her trial.

      "Levi..." she looked at him. "It's okay." she walked over to the bars of her cell, gently reaching through and taking his hands. "I'll be okay." she whispered. "They want to execute you." he informed her. She lowered her eyes, but her smile remained. "They won't kill me, Levi." she said.

      "Tch, how can you be so sure?" the bars were gripped tighter in his palms. "Because. I'll tell them the truth. I'm harmless." she giggled softly. "I vowed to not harm a single soul when I returned. I kept my end of that bargain. I did not kill those 300 men and women. Boss did. I have friends who can testify for me." her eyes glittered. "Don't worry. I've already thought this all through. I knew they had a warrant out for my arrest already because I saw the wanted' posters in Chlorba." she sighed. "Look, everything will be fine."

      "What if it won't be? I know how corrupt these people are. They won't let you off easily." Levi insisted. "I know." she said softly. "Don't worry, Captain. I'll be okay. I swear." she bit down on her lip. "But... if things don't happen the way we want... don't... don't be hard on yourself, okay?"

      "If I'd done my job of watching you-" Anna stopped him. "I still would have left. To protect you- to protect all of you. I would have found a way while you were asleep or just not watching me. I'd find a way to keep you safe." she lowered her head. "Anna... I have to go..." she knew based off of his tone of voice he didn't want to leave her, and she knew she didn't ever want to leave him. They belonged together. Written in the stars and in the fairy tales they'd read. Anna smiled sadly as she thought back to the story of Romeo and Juliet.

      Levi was escorted away as Anna's cell was open. She was handcuffed, her wrists bound by metal. Anna breathed, her heart pounding in her ears as she walked in between a group of Military Police.

      She was led in the familiar room where her story once began, and where she feared it might end. More people were here this time. The Military Police, The Garrison Regiment and the Survey Corps were all standing there, respectfully. Anna refused to make eye contact with any of them. Especially Levi as he took a stand beside Erwin in the Survey Corps' stands.

      Anna was chained to the floor, her ankles and wrists all bound so she couldn't move. She blocked out the sounds of people shouting at her, screaming that she was a murderer. Her hair covered her eyes enough to where she didn't have to see most of their faces. She felt the guilt in her stomach, flowing through her body, stabbing at her heart.