Chapter 27

Dedicated Chapter Song: Half - PVRIS

Never wanted to be here now. One foot in the grave, other on the ground. I can't process what I'm feeling now. This skin I can do without.

 This skin I can do without

They were dead. All of them. Every last one. And she was too. Anna whimpered and bit the cloth of her cape as yanked the blade out of her skin. She let out a loud cry and heaved. It hurt so goddamn bad. What made the pain worse was waiting for Levi to come back for her.

By the time he came back she'd be dead. No. She couldn't just lay down dead like cattle. She pulled one leg closer to her and leaned against the tree as she slowly and carefully stood up. Her knees threatened to buckle. "No...I'm not weak." she took a few steps forward. "I'm coming, Levi... " she shot her hook into a thick branch and lifted herself up. "I won't die like Marco did. I won't die alone." she insisted.
"Anna," a voice chilled her bones from behind her. She turned her head to see the hooded figure from before. Taking out her sword, she aimed it at the person. "Who are you?!" she demanded. The figure tilted their head to reveal a shining smile. Fangs. Shining, grinning fangs. "I'm so proud of you. And yet, disappointed."

That voice. The voice that always spoke to her every single day when getting her shots. The voice that ordered her around every day of her life. "Boss..." she sighed in relief. "I thought I'd never see you again..." she put her sword away. "When you didn't come back, I got worried." Boss's red eyes flashed at her. Anna smirked, covering her wound with her hand. "I got a little caught up. All part of the plan, though." she winked.

"Plan?" he raised his hooded head. "I'm close to the biggest treasure yet, Boss. If they trust me enough, I can infiltrate the King and slaughter him. I'm so close!" Anna smiled. Boss snickered. "That's my girl." he ruffled her hair. "The Captain even believes I love him." she licked her lips. "All part of the plan?" he motioned to her wound.

Anna groaned. "Er... this was a minor setback." she sighed. "Here." he tossed her a golden vial of liquid. "Thanks, Boss." she downed the liquid, sighing in relief as she felt her ribs realign and her wound close.

"How much longer will you be away from the Underlands?" he asked. Anna smiled. "I don't know. I managed to lead all the members of the S.O.S. to their deaths. They'll think that's suspicious, but I'll come up with an excuse." she put a hand on her hip. "Don't worry about me. The Female Titan is sure to slaughter the Lance Corporal and his relative." she smiled. "I'll be home soon, Boss."

"Where's Cullen?" Boss asked. Anna gulped looking down at the branch they stood on. "He was eaten by a Titan." she sighed. "Cullen just wasn't good enough." Boss scoffed. "Figures. He never was half as good as you." Anna smiled. "I need to get going." she waved.

"Kasahara," he called. Anna froze at her prior last name. "Do not forget who you're really fighting for." Anna put her hand up to her head and outwardly motioned in a salute. "No problem, Boss. See ya. " she grinned and swung through the treetops to catch up to Mikasa and Levi.