8

“No  baby “ Jordan whispered as he guided her into the tiny restaurant.
Steph felt her heart beat in her ears.

He called me baby again

Speaking  softly to the waitress  Jordan requested  a quiet area where there would be no disturbances. She showed them to a small rounded booth  in the back where it was virtually deserted. Handing them menus she took their drink orders as she  reassured them she would be back but they would not be disturbed.
Jordan motioned for Steph to sit down first ,then  slid in next to her in the booth. Steph wiped the last of her tears away as her  nerves kicked into overdrive again.

Deliberately rubbing his leg against hers in a soothing gesture Jordan felt Steph jump.

“That’s adorable “ he chuckled trying to keep the mood from turning dark again.
Steph  was grateful for the dim lighting because she knew her eyes were puffy from crying and  cheeks  crimson.
Finding her voice ,somewhat she whispered

“Isn’t your wife going to be a little pissed that you're in a strange restaurant in a strange town with a woman who isn’t her ?”

Jordan’s eyes suddenly registered a  pained expression.

“We’re divorced. Have been for awhile now. I just try to keep my private life just that private. ”Jordan admitted softly
Wishing the floor would open up and swallow her up Steph looked out the window at the dark sky.

”It’s ok you know. I’m not upset over it.” Jordan said softly, bringing her out of her thoughts.
This was definitely not going the way Jordan hoped it would. Knowing he had to find a way to salvage it and hopefully put a smile back on her face

”So we’re not all that different ,different circumstances  yes but same outcome. I just figured we could hang out. Tiffany tells me you’ve been pretty much a hermit other than work the last several years and an occasional night out but you never do anything  for you. I say time to start .You only get one life and I’m sure he’d want you to be living it .We have a few days break  from the tour so I figured I’d hang out in the area ,before you ask yes she knew. I figured  you would make a beautiful tour guide and  show me around “Jordan flashed her a huge grin.
Even in the dim light of the restaurant there was no mistaking it.
”Sound like a plan?” 
Steph remained quiet .

She was gonna kill Tiffany.