37

Jordan paid the check ,led Steph to the car ,kissed her tenderly as he closed her into the car ,hopped in the drivers seat. Jordan didn’t start the car right away instead he sat for a moment before pulling his phone from his pocket he began  tapping a few keys as  he made a call. Steph wondered who he was calling and why.
“Look I know you got my back on this one call the fucking wolves off. Look all I’m tellin you is she is my girlfriend ,not a side thing .Evelyn and I have been over .Yes I have a relationship with my boys .She’s an emt .Yes she has kids .No she’s not divorced so don’t go fucking looking for a husband in the woodwork. Thanks Max .”
Steph said nothing as she watched a lopsided smile form on his mouth.
They decided to stop for the night as Jordan hit some keys on his phone ,booking them into a room. Once he parked he checked with Victor to make sure the flight landed safely at Philly International .They spoke for a few minutes more before he hung up and started the car.
Half an hour later he pulled into a quiet out of the way bed and breakfast. They spent what was left of the afternoon cuddled up on the  bed in the bed and breakfast talking more about everything that had happened .
“I love you I don’t give a fuck who doesn’t agree with it. Especially Evelyn I gave her everything fucking thing she asked for .Before we were married , the boys , the divorce and especially after the divorce.The boys were the only thing that kept me sane. I don’t think I ever truly loved her .Maybe just the idea of having someone who I thought would stand by me ,keep me grounded. Of course she used the fact that she knew me before we hit it big against me .”
Steph laid there in Jordan’s arms letting him get out what he needed to listening , encouraging and holding Jordan as he went into much greater , intimate detail about his relationship with Evelyn.
He was as broken as she was more so in some ways because the woman who promised to love and cherish him broke every part of her commitment to him. Jordan was left to wonder if she had ever loved him whereas Steph knew Johnny had but the universe just had other plans for their happily ever after.
#
Jordan  became distant once their heart to heart was finished and Steph was unsure as to why.
“J?” she whispered nervously chewing her lower lip
“Hmmm?”
“Where’d you go just now ?”
“Just thinking about what we’re doing “
“Meaning ? I thought we cleared that up already.”
“In general but are we turning around and getting back on the road or are we keeping on the road home ?”
Nervously Steph looked at him contemplating her answer.
“I would hope my lady would want to be with me as much as I want to be with her “
It hit the nerve Jordan hoped it would as a smile broke out on her face
“Is that a yes ?”
Steph leaned up enough to press her lips to his. It was the first time she initiated any affectionate contact and Jordan hoped that meant they were turning a corner into a good direction.