36

“Are you fucking kidding me right now?” Steph whispered emotionally.
“Baby “
“Don’t  FUCKING call me baby !” She shouted
Jordan slid into the driver’s seat “Vic is gonna take care of getting Tiff home you and I , we need to talk “
Steph cut her eyes at him , crossed her arms over her chest and looked out the window.
“Fine then I’ll talk but since we’re going to be in the car for quite awhile you won’t have much choice but to listen to what I have to say”
The ride seemed to go on forever .Steph refused to even look at him.
“Bab-“ Steph cut him off with a death glare.
“Steph they all are over reacting. Acting childish as hell. I’m a grown man.They don’t call the shots or run my life. “
He went on to explain everything that caused the destruction of his marriage to Evelyn in more detail and how she refused to let him go. How he gave her whatever she wanted to get out of his life, the fight and constant threats of losing his boys and finally how he went off on Evelyn after she stormed out of the room once she read the texts from his ex.
He assured her this was not a game , he knew she wasn’t what others said she was, that he didn’t feel like he was taking on someone else’s baggage as his idiot brother had declared unknowing of all the facts before stupidly overreacting as usual.

#

The several hour drive helped Jordan clear his head as well as calm Steph down.
When Jordan reached over taking her hand with his free hand he hoped she wouldn’t pull away again.
“They didn’t know anything about you and of course the networks are out for their next big story. Most don’t even realize that I’m no longer married. I try to keep my private life private doesn’t always work but I try
Steph looked down at the hand that held hers
“Every man after Johnny was out for something. I had to question if they actually gave a shit about me or my bank account or there were the few who wanted just a whore “
“Stop that “ Jordan’s voice was gentle but firm “You’re not a whore “
They stopped at a small diner along the way to stretch and grab something to eat.
Steph insisted she wasn’t hungry but Jordan wasn’t having it. Once their food arrived they talked more about the messages and what they meant. Jordan took a sip of his drink as he watched her , contemplatively.
“What are you thinking about ?” he asked softly as she set her glass on the table.
“How stupid I feel for over reacting I mean we haven’t even defined what we are yet and I jumped on you like some crazed bitch.”
“What do you want us to be ?”Jordan’s question bluntly  threw the ball in her court.
“I told you I’m not a groupie ,I don’t fuck just anyone and I especially don’t tell just anyone that I love them.”
“We made love it wasn’t fucking first off and I know you’re not any of those things baby”
“So what exactly am I ?”Steph flawlessly bounced that ball right back into Jordan’s court.
“The woman I love but girlfriend works much better for me “Jordan smirked “At least for now .Later who knows “
Touche

Jordan thought to himself as he watched her eyes widen as she clamped her mouth closed keeping  whatever argument she planned on using  to herself.