9

The waitress  returned before she could answer. Jordan looked at her to order first .He was determined to get her to speak.
“A pepsi no ice” she meekly answered.
The waitress gave her a rude look like she hadn’t heard her so Jordan answered hoping it would take away any chance of embarassment.
”Two pepsi’s no ice “he clarified to the waitress
She  mumbled something as she nodded and left to get their drinks.
Jordan playfully  bumped Steph’s shoulder .

”Tiff told me you’re usually not this quiet. I’m no different than anyone else. Speak up “
Jordan encouraged her smiling.
A nervous smile crossed her lips as Steph smiled back at him.

”God help me “she thought to herself.

Needing a minute to herself after the embarrassing  crying fest  Steph quietly  excused herself to the  lady’s room .Calling Laura would help. She was freaking out. Majorly.

”You knew about this ?” Steph said before Laura  even got out a hello.

”Yep “Laura snickered through the phone.
”Just enjoy it. Where are you? And more importantly where is Mr. Knight ?”
”I’m in the bathroom. He’s at the table still. We stopped by that little fifties style  diner on thirty just outside of Hershey.” she told her .
”Well get the hell off this phone with me and go have fun for a change.”
Laura told her as she hung up before Steph could even come up with a  reply.
Jordan was still at the table when Steph returned.
Thank God . At first when in the bathroom  Steph thought  it was all a dream but seeing Jordan  sitting at the table waiting for her she pinched her arm with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand as she watched a   red mark already forming.

Ouch . Fuck!

Yep  definitely  NOT dreaming.

Steph  slid  back in the booth. Jordan  slid closer to her  then he  had  before she excused herself. After attempting several topics Jordan  finally got her to talk when he asked about her work which Steph animatedly regaled him with stories about her many adventurous shifts on the ambulance. Both as a volunteer and for the transport company she currently worked for which was paid.
”I admire what you do “ Jordan told her truthfully. ”Not everyone can do what you do.”
Steph could feel her face   begin to redden.
”I’m serious not everyone can do what you do” Jordan  reached out  taking one of her hands in his hoping she would relax .
Steph willed herself to be calm.
“Tiff told me a little about her father but not everything. Like I told you in the car I’m told I’m a good listener if you want to ever share. I hear it’s theraputic.”