Chapter 23: Sightseeing

The town looks amazing. 

No matter where I go in this world, I'll never get over the fact on how awesome amazing all of it looks. Being in a fantasy world is awesome!

While we were walking around, I was seeing all kinds of races. Beastfolk, elves, orcs, dwarves, and much more.

I saw them as adventurers, merchants like me, crafters, and I even saw some of them as children playing with their friends. This place seems more diverse than the last town I was in.

Anyway, Iris and the others wanted to look around the town so Whitney decided to give them a little tour. I've been meaning to look around the place so this is good as a time as any.

The town was pretty small but there was plenty to see regardless. We stopped by a few food stands to see what they had.

They didn't have a variety of meats because all they currently had was either boar or wyvern. I heard that the boar tasted good but the Wyvern didn't. 

I read a few light novels that had wyvern meals. Like this world, the people didn't really eat wyvern unless they were in the poor district of some city.

Maybe the reason why they don't eat the wyvern here is the same in my light novels. I was curious so I asked one of the guys that were selling the stuff.

"Unlike the boar meat, wyverns have thick skin that's hard to chew and it has a horrible smell to it. We usually use the wyverns to make armor but there are times when the meat supply is scarce so we put them in stock just in case."

Hmm, so it is the same. Due to the skin and stench of the wyvern, most people don't eat it but since sometimes when they run out of meat, they have to use it.

I was curious about what the wyvern actually tasted like so I decided to buy a piece. The stand owner that gave me the wyvern recommended that I add some spices to give it more flavor.

I did as he told me and I sprinkled in some red pepper to give it a spicy taste. I like spicy things, get over it.

When I was about to eat it, I managed to smell the food and I instinctively stopped myself. Wow, that's foul!

I'm not joking. The wyvern smelled like a week old ham that sat out in the sun the entire time.

I'm not even sure if I could eat this without throwing it back up. I now know why the people don't like this stuff.

Regardless of the smell, it probably didn't taste so bad. Sometimes the smell of the food is bad but it tastes great so maybe that's what's going to happen.

I then took bite out of the wyvern meat. Nope, it tastes terrible!

I managed to swallow the wyvern meat but after that, I found the nearest trash can dumped it. I was thinking of burning the thing to a crisp but that would be too much.

"Told you, kid. That stuff isn't what people would normally eat unless there was nothing left." The stand owner told me.

He chuckled a bit and we gave our goodbyes. I'm not going to do something like that again.

We went by a blacksmiths shop and decided to take a look. Apparently, Whitney knew the blacksmith so she went inside to say hello.

"Hey, kid!" 

There was a middle age man about six feet tall, thick black beard and wet hair, and had a bit of a bulge in his gut. He was wearing blacksmith clothing and was all sweaty from the heat.

Despite his current appearance, Whitney went to hug him. They must be pretty close for her to just up and hug him like that.

"How are you, Troy?" Whitney asked.