Ch. 35: Birthday Boy

* RAIN's POV *

We went back to the hotel. I hid my gift inside of the closet. I warned Lei not to open it until midnight. He had to wait. We had dinner and then went back to our rooms. We were planning on waiting until midnight but, guess what, we fell asleep before it was even eleven p.m. 

I had set an alarm for seven a.m. It went off before I had expected it to do so. We woke up and, when my neurons started to work again, I realized it was Lei's birthday.

- Happy birthday, fiancé!- I said, happily.

People were continuously knocking at our door. I opened up to see everyone come in. It wasn't just Xiaozi, Thomas, Shancai and Si. There was also Meizuo, Ximen and Xiaoyou. He was all smiling and I couldn't wait to give him my gift. Each of them gave Lei his gift. I was the last one to do so.

- So, this is very special. It has a special meaning- I gave him the bag. - here you've got-.

He opened it up to see the necklace I had chosen. He was about to hug me when I said.

- Check out its back- I said.

He saw the engraved words, he read them. He was a little bit confused. I had to clear it out for him.

- It means that we risked getting hurt but in the end, we won- I said, smiling. 

He smiled and hugged me.

- Its the best birthday gift... ever- he said.

I smiled back. I helped him put it on. It was a chain-like necklace. It looked great on him and it symbolized a lot to us. 

- Thanks- he said and he kissed my cheek.

- Oh, stop flirting and lets go- Ah Si said. - we have a whole day planned for you-.

- I'd rather soak on the hot springs all day- he said.

I hit him (gently) on his left shoulder.

- Please, Rain. Control your boyfriend- Ximen said. 

- Oh, right. Fiancé- I said, showing off my ring.

- Y... you are engaged?- they all asked (well, except from Xiaozi, Thomas, Ah Si and Shancai - they already knew it).

- Yes, we are- he said.

I stared at him happily. The fact that he was saying it out loud made me look even more forward to our wedding.

- Congratulations!- they said.

- So our Lei is no longer a loner- Meizuo said. - I'm now the odd one out-.

We all laughed.

- Meizuo, don't throw yourself down. Love will come- I said. - well... you said that you had a whole day planned for the birthday boy... let's go!-.

I was starting to study Chinese. I wanted to be able to understand what the other said, to read menus, to write letters. New languages enthusiasm me. I like learning foreign languages. And Chinese was way more easier than expected. The part of writing... well... its a pain in the ass but with hard work and effort I'll get through it. I know I can.

* * *

Ah Si took us to a restaurant. We ate, drunk and had a lot of fun. After that they all said their goodbyes, saying that Lei had to spend the rest of the day with his wife-to-be. I agreed. My birthday boy had to have some time with me.

- Come on, I'll take you somewhere- I said, smiling.

I held on tight to his hand and ran to the park I had looked up on Google Maps. Thank god Google Maps exists. We sat on a bench. I told him to wait for me. I went to a Tea Store and bought Lei's favorite tea and some other one for me. I walked towards him and handed it to him. He took a sip. He smiled.

- You remembered- he said.

- Yeah, well... you told me like two days ago, baby. I wouldn't forget just right away- I said. 

I sat right next to him. I rested my head on his shoulder. I loved him so damn much... he had changed my life completely. We had risked but we had won. And I was waiting so badly for the prize ceremony... I wanted to get married right away. Our love was so strong... 

- Happy birthday- I said. - drink your tea... I have more surprises for you- I smiled. - I memorized this neighborhood's map. So I guess that I can take you to our next stop-.

- Next stop?- he said.

- Yeah. I have somewhere else to take you before going to the hot springs- I said. - I know you love them... so I organized this day so that you could soak on them later-.

He smiled.

- So thoughtful- he said.

I laughed. He had drank his tea and I still had half a cup left. I drunk it fast and threw the plastic cup to a trash bin. I took his hand and walked until I saw my stop. It was a gigantic ice cream store.

- My treat- I said, smiling. - and... I'd be grateful if you can ask for some lemon ice cream for me-.

He nodded.

We got in and chose our flavors. We ate our ice creams and then went to the hot springs. We had a wonderful day... and a better night.