Chapter Forty Two - Tarp

"We know you"

"You were there the night of the fire that destroyed our home, you tried to kidnap me!"

"You tried to kidnap us, Liam and Valerie on the night of the fire that destroyed their home!"

"Yes. We did do all of that"

"But we failed. And just when we think that we caught you again, we discover that little Olaf kidnapped you"

"Now, we're going to pay him a visit and return his prisoners"

"That  baby's trying to poison us!   I wanted a nice, hot breakfast,   and instead, you brought me  this cold, disgusting nonsense" Count Olaf shouted "maybe if I throw you off Mount Fraught,   you'll learn your lesson"

"Sunny!" Duncan called.

Count Olaf turned around and screamed.

"Mommy! Daddy!"

"Show some respect, Olaf" said the man

"Is that any way to greet  the people who raised you?" said the woman

"Boss, are these your parents?" Fernald exclaimed

"Only figuratively. They were my mentors" said Count Olaf

"Yes. We played a crucial role in  your education, didn't we, Olaf?" the man said

"Taught you how to set fires"

"A few ants, a magnifying glass."

"You were lost before we recruited you"

"You needed a push"

"A good, hard shove". They both shoved me and Duncan to the ground then Duncan and I got up and made our way over to Sunny.

"Tell us, what have you been doing with your life?"

"Well I'm an actor. I've been glowingly mentioned in reviews in several small magazines. This is my troupe. There are a few carnival freaks running around somewhere" said Count Olaf

"Not anymore"

"Oh, no, oh! This is my girlfriend. Yes I have a girlfriend"

"Good morning" said Esme stepping forward "I am Esme Gigi Genevieve"

"Are you okay Sunny?" I asked.

"We have to congratulate you Olaf, you have kept these two triplets in your clutches for longer than we could"

"But that doesn't excuse how you have been running around like a headless chicken, going after the Lyons and now the Baudelaire when you could have been fulfilling your full potential"

"But we did get the Baudelaire's, Violet and Klaus Baudelaire are dead and we were about to burn down the V.F.D. Headquarters where the surviving Baudelaire parent is hiding out, leaving little baby Sunny Baudelaire with us, until she comes of age that is"

"Oh, Olaf" said the woman

"Have you not noticed the lack of snow gnats, Olaf?"

"I noticed, its because snow gnats are no longer in"

"No, Esme Squalor, its because of the smoke"

"Smoke?" said Sunny

"Yes, smoke" said the man pointing to the edge of the mountiain with his walking stick "we've been using our time right and burnt down V.F.D. Headquarters"

"No!" Sunny, Duncan and I cried running to the edge of the mountain and vaguely seeing the burnt remais of V.F.D. Headquarters.

"Oh, yes!" said the man "it was very fun"