Chapter Fifty Eight - The Blackbird

Esme took me and my brothers up to the roof and told us to sit down on the deckchairs.

Duncan and Quigley kept asking me what was going on, what happened. But I wouldn't, I couldn't, I can't tell them. When I told them I wanted to be alone, they walked away and looked down, towards the Baudelaires.

"Isadora. I think you should see this" said Quigley.

"What?" I asked, walking over to them and looking down.

Count Olaf was standing with the harpoon gun pointed at Dewey Denouement. Violet stood in front of Dewey, then Klaus stood in front of Violet and then Sunny in front of Klaus. All of them could have died, if  Olaf hadn't surrendered the gun to the Baudelaires.

But soon after, Mr Poe suddenly appeared, causing the Baudelaires to drop the harpoon gun and impale Dewey. He fell into the reflecting pond.

"The Baudelaires just killed-" I started.

"They didn't kill anyone" said Duncan.

"Be quiet, orphans, my daughter needs maximum concentration if she's going to shoot down this bird. Now, Carmelita, don't fire until you see the white of the Sugar Bowl"

Carmelita held a slingshot as she spoke "I can hit a blackbird flying in the dead of night". She shot the slingshot and we saw a bird drop from the sky, carrying the Sugar Bowl.

"Our work is done here's until tomorrow that is"

Esme took us back to the hotel room but when she opened the door, right there waiting for us was Them. They wanted to talk to Esme, so we were forced back into the closet.

It was now one o'clock in the morning and with my ears to the closet door, I found out that later, there would be a trial for Count Olaf. That's when I got out my commonplace book and leant against a tower of Esme's weapon shoes boxes as I started writing 'Broken - Isadora Quagmire'.

It is now almost 3pm the next day, the trial starts at 3:30pm and I