Part 3 - Cordial

Ishmael explained that the seawall sheltered the island from storms but unfortunately sailing over the seawall is "nearly impossible". This made us think that we would never be able to leave the island but then Ishmael said something else. He said that once a year, the tide rises high enough to launch a boat by sailing it through the lowest point in the seawall. The islanders call it Decision Day, which was coming up in a few weeks. There is a large canoe on the island, if anybody wants to go on Decision Day, they can leave on said outrigger. Although according to Ishmael, nobody ever leaves.

He gave us a tour of the island. It was so different from what we were used to, everybody was happy. It was bright and joyful. Then, he took us to where the food was prepared. Alonso, an islander, was making ceviche. Klaus described that it was a South American dish made from raw seafood marinated in citrus and spices. But as there are no citrus fruits of spices on the island, it was just raw plain fish.

"Shikabob" said Sunny.

"My sister wonders why you don't use fire to cook" Violet translated.

"Mintjelly" said Sunny.

"Or eat the sheep. Sorry, she recently became interested in cooking"

"Fire is one of the most dangerous things in the world" said Ishmael.

We all agreed and some of the islanders shared how they got there. Miranda Caliban, Friday's mother, said she took a cruise while she was pregnant and the ship hit an iceberg. Alsonso said that he got caught in a tempest. Another islander stated that she got caught in a manatee accident. Klaus asked if any of them missed their old lives. They said they could barley remember them, that it was fuzzy, like a dream"

"We have a motto on this island" said Ishmael. "'Forget your troubles' Care for a drink? It's a cordial made of fermented coconut"

Me, Violet and Klaus spit the cordial out. Sunny, luckily, hadn't drank any of it yet. Quigley actually liked it and continued drinking.

"I'm not sure we like the taste" Klaus said.

"Do we have to drink it?" I asked.

"Well, I won't force you, but we don't have fresh water here, so if you don't drink it, you might die of dehydration"

"Well, Ishmael-"

"Oh, call me Ish"

"Are you sure we're safe from Count Olaf here? He could escape the cage and find the harpoon gun, or-"

"Something worse"

"You don't have to worry about that, Count Olaf is-"

"Count Olaf is gone!" Friday cried coming into the room. "Everybody is in a panic, he broke out of the cage and nobody can find him!"