Part 6 - Dead

Day 20 on the island
Decision Day

Today is the day Count Olaf died.

Decision Day had arrived meaning that any islander could leave, if they wanted to. Oh, and it also meant that the villain who had tortured me and my family for forever would die.

Everyone gathered on the beach, beside the outrigger.

"Attention, colonists! Another Decision Day has arrived. Anyone wishing to leave the island?"

There was a silence. I couldn't imagine why anyone would ever want to leave this paradise we'd discovered.

"Wise decision" said Ishmael. "Decision Day is over!"

The islanders cheered.

"Now let's all gather round and watch Count Olaf drown!" Ishmael smiled.

"Are we sure that we should let Count Olaf drown?" I asked.

"Think of all the terrible things that he's done to us. What he did to Issy" said Quigley.

The whole island watched as Count Olaf smiled and waved at us before his cage was swept away. He was finally dead. Our troubles were finally over.

Later on, after dinner, Quigley and I were in our tent. Quigley was asleep and snoring. Meanwhile, I was reading my sister's story again. Then, someone entered the tent.

"Naomi?"

"Duncan. Can you follow me?" she who spared.

We took me to the rocks where Count Olaf's cage used to stand.

"Naomi, what's going on?"

"I heard what you said and saw your face earlier, when Count Olaf 'died'"

"Why'd you say it like that?" I asked.

"Klaus has told me about Count Olaf. Do you really think that he would accept death like that?"

"Yes. I do. Count Olaf is dead. That's that"

"Then why did you come over here when you thought everyone else was distracted"

Day 23 on the island

Violet, Klaus, Quigley, Sunny, Naomi and I all went searching for Ishmael when we found his boots abandoned at his chair with a trail of footprints leading off to an unknown destination. We found a secret passageway which lead the other side of the island where all of the 'dangerous' items got sent.

"Duncan. What's wrong?" asked Quigley.

"You see this?" I pointed.

"You mean the bright red statue of a fish?"

"It's not just any bright red statue of a fish"

"Because we see bright red statues of fish often?"

I chuckled. "Count Olaf locked Issy and me in this exact bright red statue of a fish for hours and hours"

"How do you know this is that exact bright red statue of a fish?"

I ran my finger along the carving I made all that time ago.

"D.Q. + V.B. classy" Quigley said.

Sunny started running into the large apple tree and we saw that there was a house inside of the tree.

"Hello, children"

Ishmael.