twenty one

I don't know how I get the words out but I do somehow. The words haunt me as they leave my mouth.

"Caleb's in hospital."

Not long after receiving the call from my brother, Patrick quickly gathered his stuff and called up an Uber to the Sydney Hospital.

I sit in the car, my mind racing on what could've happened to him. Jack didn't tell me why Caleb is in hospital, which is a little annoying but that doesn't matter.

Patrick holds my hand in an attempt to calm my haywire nerves. It works a little, but I'm still extremely worried about Caleb. I didn't see him after the Sydney match which makes me even more concerned.

The drive to the hospital feels like an eternity. My palms are sweating and my forehead is damp. I'm also shivering the slightest bit as my hearts hammers against my chest.

Once we arrive I nearly fall down by how weak my legs are, but Patrick ensures I'm okay by walking beside me, training bag in hand.

We enter the building which smells heavily of alcohol. I scrunch up my nose in disgust, not happy with being here. I just want to know where Caleb is. And now.

I approach the front desk, trying my best to compose myself. Patrick's hand rubs my back, easing the nervousness.

"Hello. I'm just wondering what room Caleb Marchbank is in?" I question, biting my lip.

"Are you of any relation?" The woman asks. I hesitate, not sure how to answer. Thank god Patrick jumps on.

"He's a teammate of mine from the Carlton Football Club." The lady nods, which settles my restlessness just a little.

"He's level 2, room 57. Take the elevator up and it should be a couple rooms down to the right."

"Thank you." Patrick and I both say as we begin in the direction of the elevator.

I'm edgy, not sure what to expect. I have this feeling of uncertainty bubbling up in my stomach. It's like when you're about to go down a rollercoaster and the nervousness just stays there until you speed down. It's like a rush. That's what I'm going through.

"You okay Audrey?" Patrick interrupts me from by thoughts.

"Uh, yeah. I'm fine." I stutter.

"Audrey." He says seriously. I sigh.

"I'm not okay, I'm worried. All Jack said was he's in hospital, that's it. Anything could have happened to him. He's like a brother to me, I don't want it to be serious, especially career ending. I know how much footy means to him after everything he's been through."

I stare at the floor, containing my tears. Patrick plants his hands on either of my shoulders. I'm forced to look up at his friendly blue eyes.

"I'm sure he's fine. He's tough, always has been and always will be. Never once has he given into his pain at training. He wears a smile and soldiers through it all, tackling his problems better than anyone at the club. Whatever state he's in, whatever injury he's received, he'll get through it, especially with someone like you by his side." Honesty is all that's within his eyes. They hold no uncertainty, only truth.

"Thank you Crippa." I smile up at him. I owe him so much for how he's helped me ever since I first met him.

I have the sudden urge to kiss him, but I'm not sure if I should. It wouldn't be wrong, at least I don't think it would be.

I decide to roll with giving Patrick a quick peck on the cheek filled with gratitude. He's taken aback, but beams at me when I move away.

"Anything for you Auds." Patrick responds, lightly blushing, as we pause in front of room 57: Caleb's room.