forty three

I follow alongside Jack to the ocean, but I can't help contemplating who Patrick is protecting me from. I just want to know what is going on.

Like for what reason would this person want anything to do with me?

(1 month later)

"What are you going to do about it?" The voice of Sophie asks.

"I don't know yet," I sigh, taking a sip of my lemonade and looking across the yard.

I'm currently at Sophie's house informing her on what went down in Greece a couple weeks back; I haven't had the chance till now. But I tell her how Charlie attempted to kiss me, seeing Patrick and him telling me about my safety being on the line. She was just as puzzled as I was.

"This sounds serious. Maybe you should call the police," Sophie suggests, glancing in my direction.

"And tell them what? I have no proof of anything and how could I even take Patrick's word on this anyway. He could've been making it all up to get back at me in some way."

"You really believe that?" She questions, looking at me carefully. I fall silent for a few moments .

"Maybe I don't," I sigh, staring at the grass thoughtfully.

"You should text him so you can talk about it. You both need to discuss this and ask him what he meant." Sophie raises her eyebrows at me knowingly. I groan at her.

Before I can grab my phone it vibrates on the table, causing a buzzing sound to ring out. I pick it up, not thinking much about who it could be.

I pause, frozen on the spot while looking at the screen. Sophie leans over in order to see what I'm staring at.

"Looks like you don't have to." She smiles.

Patrick Cripps
We need to talk.

Looks like it's time to get serious.

-

I tap my foot impatiently as I wait for Patrick to arrive at the park.

I can't help but think about the text he sent me. Saying 'we need to talk' can mean anything so my nervousness is undeniable. Him and I haven't had a serious conversation since we broke up. Most have been full of emotion and or didn't go too well.

What does he want to talk about?

Is it to do with our relationship? Sarah? Me? I am so desperate to know I wish he'd just turn up already.

"Hey." The voice scares me. I jump away a few feet in fright. Laughter soon follows.

"It's just me." Patrick smiles lightly. I return it awkwardly, looking to the floor.

"So, uh, what did you need to talk about?" I ask, looking up to meet his eyes. They reflect conflicting thoughts that are going on inside his head. It's like he's battling with himself on something.

"Patrick?" He shakes his head, ridding himself of the thoughts that have got me curious.

"U-uh, let's sit." He sighs and begins to approach a bench. I follow behind pondering further of what might be brought up.