seventeen

I follow behind, too nervous of the unpredictable moves he might make. Only when I see him charging into the gym, directly at my brother, do I realise.

Oh no.

Before I know it Patrick pins Jack into a wall harshly. He holds him against it by his training singlet. My brother looks around bewildered, not sure of what happened. He finally sees Patrick there.

Jack's eyes turn dark. He tries to shove him off, but Patrick's brute strength keeps him backed up against the wall. I just stand there, too unprepared to go in and stop it.

Patrick's body language conveys pure outrage towards Jack. The possible move he might make could to turn everything ugly. And it won't make him look good either.

"You know what you did!" Patrick snarls.

"What?! What do you mean?!" My brother yells, lunging forward again to get free but fails.

I don't want to hear this anymore. I can't stand watching my best friend and my brother go at each other. And especially when the reason involves me.

Snapping out of my trance, I race forward towards the two. Patrick shoves my brother against the wall again. Jack barely avoids smacking the back of his head. I quickly duck under Patrick's arms that immobilise my brother.

Placing my hands on his chest, I attempt to force Patrick away. My brother stands behind me, my back facing him. Even though I absolutely hate my brother at the minute, that doesn't mean I want him to get bashed.

I look up at Patrick, begging him to stop with my eyes. He glances down at me, his hard look disappearing.

Patrick roughly detaches from Jack's guernsey, an agitated look still visible on his face. I breathe a sigh of relief as he backs off. At this point a small crowd has formed, consisting of club officials and players.

I turn on my feet, making eye contact with my brother. I search his eyes, but they are void of emotion.

Scowling slightly, my eyes piercing his with disgust, I twist my body around and away, walking to where Patrick exited.

I know exactly where Patrick will be, but I decide to leave him alone as last time he was angry it went poorly between us.

I take a seat outside, trying to clear my head of today's events. The breeze flows through my hair, refreshing me almost instantly.

I hear a door squeak open, then close shut. I sit quietly as my own brother takes a seat beside me.

We don't say anything, but just look off into the distance. Sweat makes its way onto my forehead as the expectation of whatever he'll say weighing upon my shoulders. I wince when he finals speaks.

"So you told Caleb and Patrick, huh?" He seems unimpressed, but do I care?

No.

"Yeah. What about it?" I bite back.

"You don't need to start rumours about Sarah. It's unnecessary. Stop overreacting. She's a lovely girl."

Flinching, I stare at him in shock. He's accusing me of overreacting? What can't he see? She obviously doesn't care about him whatsoever. I'm just trying to protect him.

"Excuse me? What the fuck don't you see Jack, it's right in front of your bloody face. She's. Only. Dating. You. For. Fame." I clap every word for effect.

"No she's not! Where is this coming? God, you're just as crazy as you were after mum died." It slips out of his mouth before he can stop it.

Tears immediately flood my eyes, the stinging sensation from his comment digging in deep.