Fall Festivities and Birthday's

With summer gone, fall was in full swing in NYC for the family of five. The kids were adjusted to life at St. Raymond's by now, Callie was doing well in her classes and Stef and Lena were continuing to get adjusted to living together as a couple and parenting all three kids together. For the most part things were running smoothly as Lena finally heard back from one school in terms of a job. Unfortunately it wasn't as the head art teacher but as an assistant which she knew was far below her credentials and qualifications. But it would mean a paycheck and ironically it was at Callie's school, LaGuardia.

FLASHBACK

"Well it's a good school, baby, but you are far over qualified for that job. You know this, yes?" Stef stays as the two are making dinner and the kids are in Callie's room doing homework as the two women tried to speak quietly.

"I know.But it's the only place that called me back."

"You could run that damn art class, and they know it and you know it, love."

"I don't want to sit around and wait for another school to call me, honey. I could go and see how much they are offering to pay. I mean it would mean a paycheck, right?"

"Yeah, it would. I just hate to think of you having to work at the bottom like this because, well, you're overqualified. That's all there is to it."

"I know. But it would mean a job and at least it would be art. And sort of teaching. Assisting. I'll try it."

"Well, just you know you are better than...than this, and you will find something. Hell, you could run that damn school! Just so you know."

"Thank you, baby. Thanks," Lena laughs. "But I've never run a school before, and I'm not so sure they'd give such a position to someone new to this state."

"Hey," she says taking Lena's hand and holding it. "I love my wife. More than anything and you...you have always been intelligent and smart and well, sexy. But you aim high, love. Keep aiming high. Hear me?"

"Yes." Lena smiles as Stef gently strokes her cheek and softly kisses her on the lips.

"Ahhhhh, MOMS!!!!" They hear Corey yell dramatically as they pull apart laughing.

"Leave them! It's nice!" Frankie reprimands and hitting her brother in the back of the head.

"Alright, alright let's settle down, troops, and eat!" Stef says sternly as Lena smiles at the woman whom she loved more than life.

FLASHBACK ENDS

As Halloween neared, Callie had still not gone to stay a single weekend with her dad, and Stef was not forcing her. Mike began calling once a day, and she dodged the calls, and eventually, he dialed it back to three times a week, and then at least once. But Callie wouldn't budge at all in regards to talking to him, until the end of October neared, and she answered the phone being taken off guard when she heard her dad on the other end.

"Hey, Cals! It's your old man! It's so good to hear your voice!"

"Hey," she shifted the receiver on her shoulder as she began sorting through the mail, not really needing to, but wanting to be anywhere but on the phone with her dad.

"So! How are you? Did you get my birthday gift? I gave it to your mother to give to you, but I don't know if she did."

"Yep."

The silence between them grows as finally Mike tries once more. "Listen, Callie, I know we've had our differences, and I wasn't right..."

"Don't. Dont' do that. Just don't," Callie snaps, but Mike tries again in a softer tone than he ever had with her.