Thanksgiving Part Three

STEF POV

"I'm sorry. I think I'm going deaf. You did what?" I say to Lena as we are getting dressed for dinner and I pull up my slacks. "Please tell me I didn't just hear you say you invited Mike. As in my ex-husband. The man who refused to give you a cup of sugar."

"As in Callie's father who has been feeling very badly lately. Yes, that man." Lena laughs softly as she pulls out her colorful bracelets from her jewelry box.

"Because he's dating that racist heifer. You know, the one who I don't want my baby around and neither do  you. Unless you changed your mind, and forget to send me a memo," I retort with so much sarcasm she laughs.

"Of course not! But this is not about Jenna. This is about Mike and Callie.  Okay? Callie needs to make amends with her father and try."

"He's homophobic!"

"He sounded very excited when I called and invited him, and I told him who all would be here. He didn't sound annoyed or even remotely judgmental."

"Jesus, woman! Do you always have to be Mother Theresa? Peach maker? Huh? I mean, Lena baby, I love you for who you are but this...I don't wanna look at Mike. I just don't. And what happened to the Lena who used to run from her abusers instead of toward them? MM? The girl I knew on base wouldn't have done this!"

"Then sit at the other end. Listen, if Will was alive, I would have invited him. And that girl grew up and realized who and what is important. It's called growing as we age, babe."

"Wow, thanks for making me feel badly. Jesus!" I shove a comb through my hair, more annoyed than ever.

"I'm not trying to make you feel badly, Stefanie...listen," she walks up behind me and runs her hands around my waist as she looks at me in the mirror. "I'm just saying I know how much Callie loves her father. She does. And I know you know this, but your divorce was hard on her. She talks about sometimes."

"When? She doesn't with me." I frown at her in the mirror, and she nuzzles her nose against my neck.

"Well..maybe because she knows that you don't like her father. This is not about you, Stef or your feelings about Mike. This is about our daughter's feelings.  I'm sure she would love to see her father at the table and would love to see you two getting along FOR HER." she whispers softly as she kisses the side of my neck several times while squeezing my waist.

"I need a smoke and a drink before, during, and after this," I joke as she doesn't let go but keeps kissing me repeatedly making me melt more and more. "Lena," I say in a low voice as she ignores me, running her hands down my hips.

"You were saying?" she asks in a low voice as our eyes meet once more, and I know she sees the pink that has spread down my neck and collarbone from the effect she has on me.

"Okay. You win," I turn in her arms as I pull her body close against mine while looking deeply into her eyes, once that always made my heart skip a beat. "You. Win."

"It's not about winning or losing, baby."

"Well, what do you want from me? MM? What?" I sigh, but she moves to cup my face softly with her hands.

"I want YOU to relax, okay? We have plenty of wine and drinks. We have each other. This is our first Thanksgiving as a family. So..." She links our fingers and squeezes. "Take a deep breath, stay near me, if you need to, and keep breathing, my babylove. Can you do that?"

"MM...yes, I can. But I can't wait for dessert time."

She giggles as she runs her nose softly over mine. "Tessy did make your favorite pie, apple streusel."