Mixed Emotions

LENA POV

As I head back to the apartment, my heart hurts more than anything for my friends and their daughter. Stefanie was very much a part of our lives since she was little, and quite often Tess would drive her down to stay with us or put her on a train to stay with me and the kids for the weekend. I look at Stefanie like a niece or even a daughter, and my heart aches just thinking about her not valuing herself enough to walk away from such a toxic situation.

No matter which way I look at this entire situation, everything comes out the same, for as I think of what we could have done differently in regards to Stefanie while she was here, nothing comes to mind. We didn't see a single thing that would have alerted us that she was being abused. And had not Corey overheard and seen what he did, we'd still be in the dark.

"Took you long enough!" Julius greets me as I walk through the door, and he looks over my shoulder.

"Where's blondie? Oh wait, nevermind. She stayed with Tessy?"

"Nothing ever slides by you, does it, Jules," I roll my eyes as I head to make another pot of coffee. "Where are the kids?"

"Well, the girls are showering and getting ready to go to the movies with good old Mikey. And Corey is watching a movie."

"Oh? Mike called?"

"Yessss, duh! Why else would they just make these plans. I think Corey is going, too, but you know how high maintenance these girls can be."

"That I do." I say sitting down and lighting a smoke as I put my feet up.

"What's wrong?"

"Me? Nothing." I take a long drag before exhaling and sinking  back in my chair.

"No??? You're smoking, missy!! What is it??? You NEVER smoke unless you are stressed! So spill!"

"Julius, it's nothing. It's just...I feel bad for Tess." I whisper as I take another drag as he rolls his eyes.

"Uh-huh. You still worried about their past?" He asks softly as I puff on my smoke avoiding his eyes.

"I never said that, Julius. Why do you invent things, Mr?" I laugh awkwardly as the coffee finishes brewing and I stand to pour me a steaming cup. "Want some coffee?"

"BECAUSE!!" He stands up and whispers in my ear so only I can hear. "Look at me, babygirl. Let it out. NOW." Letting out a sigh I put my cigarette down and look him in the eyes whispering myself, for god only knows the walls have ears, meaning my children heard everything.

"Tess was just drunk. She said...a few things."

"Like? She has a crush on your wife?" His eyes grow wide as I look to the ground again. "Well???"

"It was more than that, okay? She mentioned stuff they used to do together, like being naked and taking baths. And that I'm lucky to have Stef. That she, well if her and Stef were together she could handle Stefanie. I...I don't know what to think. I know she was drunk but...but I...I don't know, Julius." I sit back down at the table and he pulls a chair up beside me.

"So, what do you think?"

"Drunk people are more honest than sober people. But I don't want to think the worst."

"So, then why did you let Stef stay with her? If you're feeling this way? Because honey child, actions speak louder than any words," he snaps his fingers as I blink back tears.

"Because, Jules! Want to know how many times Stef and I have fought over this very thing? How I don't trust her, it was years ago, and it can go on and on, and all it does is hurt her! I didn't want to hurt her more than she's already hurting, you know? And plus, I do trust her. I really do. I have no reason to not trust her. My mind just...it's playing tricks on me, I guess," I take a sip of coffee as Julius listens intently, and I'm instantly thankful he's in front of me right now because I don't know what I'd do otherwise.