Mugged

STEF POV

I don't think I have ever gotten anywhere faster then I have gotten to this hospital. As I rush through the ER doors of Calvary Hospital my anxiety is at its worst. I can only blame myself for Lena getting mugged. How could I not for I was supposed to go to the school with her instead of storming off because of a fight we had which was so insignificant now. Shit it was really insignificant now as I can't help but try to fight the tears that are streaming down my face.

"Lena Adams! Did she sign in? Does she have a room number?" I ask bombarding the receptionist.

"And you are? You need to take a seat."

"Yeah I have no time to take a seat. What room is she in, please."

"Are you a relative?"

"I'm her wife." I spit out as she stares at me oddly along with her friend as I now pull out my badge. "Also I'm a cop. Room, please!"

"Let me check...officer. One second, please." She says as she eyes me oddly still, and I can tell that she wouldn't have believed me had I not thought to bring my badge. It's in times like this that the reality of not being legally tied to Lena makes me feel so out of control as I can feel my chest tighten ever more. After she finally tells me where Lena is it feels like it takes me forever to find the room and when I do I see her laying on the bed and she looks so small. My heart breaks into a thousand pieces as I rush over to her.

"Baby!" I choke out as I feel my voice crack, and she looks up at me her face completely swollen on the left side. Her knee is cut up and banged up as well, and I can see they have stitched up the cute above her brow and on her cheek. "Baby...what...what happened? What...." I ask gently cupping her cheek as tears spring to her eyes.

"Stef...Stef. It was terrible. Stef....." She cries as I climb on the bed and gather her in my arms hugging her so hard. "I was so scared!" She cries into my neck as I smooth my hand down her back.

"Shhh...I'm so sorry, baby. God, I'm so sorry." I whimper as I hold her as her body shakes against me. I run my hands up and down her back as I croon softly in her ear, calming her down before pulling away and gently cupping both of her cheeks as I look deeply into her eyes. They stare back at me with so much panic and fear that it crushes my heart and soul.

"I'm sorry for what I told Tess, Stef...I..."

"Hey. Forget that shit. Forget all of that. It was stupid and...and I will NEVER leave you like that again. Baby, I'm so sorry this happened to you..I..." I can't help but feel the tears run down my face more as I gently lean my forehead against hers. "I don't know what I would do if something happened to you."

"I'm ok. I am."

"What...what happened, honey? Did they take your statement? Anyone?"

"Not yet. No. I just remember leaving the girls' school and I walked to the subway."

"Ok, then what?" I ask holding her head and rubbing it vowing to never let go again, for this was almost more than I can bare...seeing her like this. How could I be so stupid? How could I ask her to come to the city when she had never lived in one like this before? Why did I let her leave the ocean which she loved? What was wrong with me?

"I was on the platform, but it wasn't crowded. It ran long, the meeting with Sister Mary. I was holding my bag and someone pulled it and I instantly pulled it back. I...I didn't even realize what I was doing, Stef. But I pulled it back more and he flashed a gun and hit me in the face with it. I think more then once and it felt like my brain was exploding. I know I ran and fell and a cop helped me. Broke my heel. I should have given up my bag. I just...I don't know why I pulled it back."