Fighting for Us

STEF POV

"I just thought that you should know, Mike. This hasn't been an easy decision, and trust me, it took a long time for us to make." I look over at my partner and ex-husband as he's been silent for the last fifteen minutes that I've been rambling about this life change. God only knows that I've debated on how I was going to tell him, and tonight seems perfect since it's so quiet in our squad car and we weren't getting that many calls ironically.

"I...I don't know what to say," he sips his coffee out of his thermos. "I mean...I kinda saw this coming a while ago, and...it makes sense."

"It does? I thought you'd be...mad!" I laugh nervously as he turns to look at me.

"Look, Stef. I'll admit. It's not like I want my daughter to move across the country because I'll miss the hell out of her. But lets be honest I've been a bit of an ass...a huge one at that, but Lena doesn't belong here. Her kids don't, and Callie will adjust.  I get it, and I've been thinking of a move myself because you only get one chance to be a father...but I never wanted to up and leave without my baby. It wouldn't be fair to her."

"But it's fair for me to up and take her?"

"I don't see it as that. You're talking to me about it, Stef. We have been really good co-parents lately and being partners helps. Why do you think I wanted to be your partner? Why do you think I changed precincts? Callie really stuck it to me a few times about Jenna and about how hard it is to be stuck between you and me all the time and our nasty fights. Trust me, I hate the fact she saw how I spoke to you when she was little, I hate the fact we had that nasty custody battle back when she was a kid. She asked me all about it and it was embarrassing."

"Mike, I played my own part. It wasn't all you." I sigh and light a smoke.

"Maybe not but still. I wanted to make a big effort on both of us getting along for her. And well for our own well being. We are forever bonded Stef in some way because we have this great daughter. And I don't want to put her through crap just because we couldn't get along. Life is too damn short and you and I fought enough to last a liftetime." He laughs as I do as well.

"You got that right. But Mike, you think it's the right idea? Like...you're not mad?" I play with the steering wheel and look at him as I hear him laugh.

"C'mon, Stef! You have a right to your own life. I'm sorry I ever hurt you and our girl. But really, go! Be happy! I'll join you as soon as I can! I loved California it was a great place."

"Yeah? You wanna move back out there?" I smile as he looks to me sipping his coffee.

"I do. And before you say anything I am not with Jenna and that's not the reason why. It was a good relaxing place. This city is gonna give me a heart attack. I mean shit! I love the challenge but it's day in and day out, Stef. And it's getting old."

"Yeah I know it. But, ummm...I don't...I don't know what to say, Mike."

"Just say that you'll stop stalling and marry that girl! You've been engaged for a bit now," he laughs as he pulls out a sandwich. "Want one?"

"I'm good. And I will wise ass! Give me a minute!"

"Stef, it's been months. Plan the cermoney! Lena planted a ring on you. So get the cement out of your ass!" He laughs as I smack his arm.

"Shut up! Hey, it took you months to ask me!"

"That's because I was scared of Frank. And you were his only daughter. That's alot of pressure!"

"Yeah yeah, I hear ya! But I think it would be good for you to come out to California too. Just I mean...you can't live...live with me, but...we can help find you a place before you get out there."