(mostly) Modern "Theme" Songs

Ponyboy's Song: Talking to the Moon by Bruno Mars (released in 2010)

"'Cause every night I'm talking to the moon
Still tryna get to you
In hopes you're on the other side talking to me too
Or am I a fool who sits alone talking to the moon?"

Every night it became a ritual for Ponyboy to sneak out of the house, usually just to the porch but on the rare occasion of one of their birthdays or a holiday, he would sit and talk to the moon and sky, even the sun if it was going down or just coming up. He would be talking to Johnny, Dally, or his parents. Occasionally all of them. He just wanted them to know how things were for everyone, everything going on, and how he missed them. He hoped they could hear him on the other end.

Johnny's Song: Lonely by Palaye Royale (release date 2020)

"Daydreaming of my funeral
Like who would show, bet no one would go
Hey dad, would you show up for me now?
Just to bury your little boy in the ground
You broke my heart when you left me
Was just waiting"

Johnny was sick of feeling alone, constantly. Even with the gang he was still concerned about his parents feelings about him. He felt alone because he didn't have his parents. The people who brought him into the world didn't seem to give a damn. He had contemplated suicide, but never wanted to give in because he had the boys. He had just wished he had a family, but he didn't know that the boys were his family. Nobody had taught him blood didn't have to be family, and family didn't have to be blood.

Sodapop's Song: Everybody Hurts by R.E.M (release date 1992)

"Don't let yourself go
'Cause everybody cries
And everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong
Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone (Hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go (Hold on)
If you think you've had too much
Of this life, well hang on"

Sodapop constantly had to remind himself he didn't always have to be the happy person everyone seen. When the pressure on his shoulders would build from the pain of his parents and friends deaths and his painful breakup. He lost so many people close to him within a year to different things, even when he tried to hold on to some of it. He wasn't one to cry often, but when he did it was usually in the shower so he was alone, and nobody would know- or he could blame the red eyes on soap. He just needed to get it in his head he wasn't as alone as he felt.

Steve's Song: Perfect by Simple Plan (release date 2002)

"I try not to think
About the pain I feel inside
Did you know you used to be my hero?
All the days you spent with me
Now seem so far away
And it feels like you don't care anymore"

Steve's mother had died when he was young, he didn't know much besides that because his father never told him, and he couldn't contact his other family since he knew none of them. She died giving birth to Steve's younger sister- or, what would have been, seeing as neither made it through birth. For whatever reason, Steve's father blamed him for both of them- but he didn't know that. The son could only tell the sudden distancing. Steve was six when it happened, he was close with his father, best friends even. Steve didn't know his mother was pregnant, he was young, and they never talked about it much, he was too busy playing with his best bud, Sodapop. Later, Sodapop's parents told Steve, when he was 16. Steve's father regularly would start arguments, randomly kick him out of the house, barely noticed him anymore. He resented him now.

Dallas' Song: Enemies by Shinedown (release date 2012)

(personally one of my favorite music videos)

"Listen up, there's not a moment to spare

It's quite a drop from the top. So how you feeling down there?
It's a cold, cruel, harsh reality
Got stuck here with your enemies"

Dallas, all his life, had since the cold, cruel, harsh reality of life. Between his father being a no-good bastard, his mother abandoning him young, and the streets he had made plenty of enemies. Some were more like freneimes, but for the most part people hated Dallas Winston. They thought he was a no-good hood, and for the most part they were right. But he wasn't just born that way, people made him that way. He had his gang, he had Johnny, and that's all he cared about. For him to lose that, it was too much and pushed it too far. But in those moments that he was running, he didn't want those enemies anymore. He didn't regret doing what he did, none of the things he did in all his life, but he wish it wasn't that way. He was supposed to protect Johnny, and when he didn't, he felt like it was his fault- and he made new enemies. Himself.

Keith's Song: A Trophy Fathers Trophy Son by Sleeping With Sirens (release date 2011)

"Why are you walking away?
Was it something I did?
Did I make a mistake?
'Cause I'm trying to deal with the pain
I don't understand this
Is this how it ends?"

Keith's father left when he was young- his sister too. The age difference between them was ten years, meaning she was 8. But, when their father left, she was only 3, and Keith was 13. Even after five years, for whatever reason he blames himself. He didn't know what or why, but he did something, and he couldn't figure it out. Nobody knows those feelings though, not even his mother. He used to cry himself to sleep over it, and now he drinks for it. It was the last thing reminding him of his father- booze. And that's what he plans to hold on to, even if it kills him.

Darrel's Song: Wish You Were Here by Incubus (release date 2001)

"I dig my toes into the sand
The ocean looks like a thousand diamonds
Strewn across a blue blanket
I lean against the wind
Pretend that I am weightless
And in this moment I am happy, happy"

Occasionally, to remember his father Darry would sneak onto the back porch while the boys were out or asleep, to be alone. Every time the pair had to have a serious conversation; it was where they would go. His mother? They would talk in her bedroom with the door shut and laying on her bed, where he slept nightly now. Of course, he never seemed happy with the stress on his shoulders and pain's in his neck by the names of Steve, Two-Bit, Pony, Soda, and Dally. Johnny was never a pain in his neck to him, he loved the kid too much to even think that. But Darry was happy- happier than he seemed at least, but the stress made it seem different. Overall, he had just wished his parents were still there, and not so he didn't have to care for his brothers. But because he got to grow up with them, and they didn't. They wouldn't get to catch Ponyboy sneaking in late from a party like him, mom wouldn't be talking to Sodapop about his first break like she did Darry, and neither would be talking to Pony about the lose of all their friends like Darry had when he had his very first close greaser friend die at Pony's age. They wouldn't get the same thing he did- but he wished they did. He couldn't give them the same experience.