Moving // D.C.

We had spent the last two weeks packing and unpacking. Packing up my son and his girlfriends room at our house, and our daughters as well, and unpacking them at their colleges. We of course had driven down to Texas from Tulsa for it all. But we didn't mind all that much, Darry and I. Of course it meant we had to take off work for it, but it was something we needed to do.

Now we were back in Tulsa with the kids, and they were getting the last of their things packed into their two vehicles. Dallas had his truck carrying his and Anne's stuff, while Dallas' twin sister Evelyn had her stuff packed into her car, the one her and her uncle Sodapop worked on together in their spare time.

Dallas and Evelyn were born a year after Darry and I married, and now they were headed off to college together. Anne had lived with us practically since she was 13, when her parents stopped taking care of her. Until she was 16, she stayed with Evelyn, then we finally let her stay in Dally's bedroom, earning a lot of flak from Sodapop since Darry never let him or Ponyboy had girls in their room alone.

I stood on the porch, watching Dally and Darry finish loading the last few things into the truck, the girls in the house, grabbing the food I made them for the road before coming outside.

The five of us stood on the porch, exchanging hugs and kisses before we watched our daughter take off first, quickly followed by the couple. My arm was around Darry's waist, his around my shoulders as we watched, I had a smile on my face. We waved until they turned the block, and Darry sighed as his hand dropped, still staring longingly after them.

"I can't believe their gone" he sighed, looking down at me. I smiled up at him, "What'd you expect, baby? They hated this town, even as kids" I stated, and he gave me a small smile before we shared a kiss. "Wanna make another?" He questioned as he raised a brow at me, a mischievous smirk on his face.

I laughed, turning to walk towards the house, "ask your vasectomy" I teased. He chuckled before running after me, causing me to squeal and run for our bedroom, only to be caught in the doorway. As he placed kissed down the side of my face, he kicked the door closed.

We finally had a house to ourselves, after 18 years.