(mostly) Modern (your) couple songs

Ponyboy's Song: We'll Be a Dream by We The Kings ft. Demi Lovato (released 2009)

"Do you remember the nights
We'd stay up just laughing
Smiling for hours
At anything
Remember the nights
We drove around crazy in love"

Ponyboy got his first serious girlfriend at sixteen. They were in love with one another, and everybody knew they were the perfect couple. She was a middle-class girl who he shared numerous classes with, and upon hearing of the death of his best friends, seeing he was practically alone now in school, excluding the occasional Two-Bit if he decided to show. Darry was hesitant the first time she asked if he could stay the night at her house, but her parents didn't mind, they knew she was smarter than that. Their favorite thing to do was take her dad's truck, when he'd let them, and drive around Tulsa, occasionally taking a trip out of town. They even went to the remnants of the church on occasion, but for very little time, and very rarely, maybe once or twice every few months. They never fought also, which was odd to some people since they believed every healthy relationship had fights. They were just young kids, crazy in love.

Johnny's Song: I'm a Believer by the Monkees (release date 1967)

"I thought love was more or less a givin' thing,
Seems the more I gave the less I got.
What's the use in tryin'?
All you get is pain.
When I needed sunshine I got rain.

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer
Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
I'm in love, I'm a believer!
I couldn't leave her if I tried."

Johnny never experienced love how he was supposed to. His parents were abusive, and his gang didn't know how to show their emotions that well either. But by the time he was 17, having never had a serious girlfriend he didn't think love was for him- and he accepted that. It only took a young Soc moving to town to prove him wrong, months later. That made it seem like fate to him. She was the one to approach him after an English class they shared, while he was talking to Ponyboy and Curly in the halls. She asked him if she wanted to go catch a film later that week on Friday, and he was quick to agree. In school, he had fallen in love at first sight with her, but outside school he learned more about her, and had fallen harder- he didn't know she had the same feelings until she kissed him- after their fifth date, two six weeks later. They were in love, and of course they had a few arguments- but they were over quick and never went past angry huffs or icy glares.

Sodapop's Song: Perfect by Ed Sheeran (release date 2017)

"'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love
Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time
But darling, just kiss me slow
Your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine"

Sodapop and his girl had grown up together, just three blocks from each other. Her and Steve were neighbor's, and it was how they met. Of course, they had the typical movie perfect love story. They met young and grew up as best friend (Steve along side them) and they fell in love. Their feelings were hidden for years, as he was dating Sandy, one of her friends, and she started to date another greaser. They temporarily stopped hanging out as much, until she and her boyfriend broke it off. It wasn't hard for Steve- or his own girl Evie- to see the two were in love, and he'd told them many times after both admitted feelings, but never worked on it. Not until months after Sandy had betrayed Sodapop. Steve was the one to set them both up on a blind date- with one another. Of course, it had gone well for the pair and they were together by the end of the night, and they only had their best friend to thank.