Axel is not on a coffee date.

Unlike Paula, I hadn't tried any dating applications. It's for a couple of reasons:

1. I was a bit insecure of my face and body after graduation. I know that girls and guys taking a second glimpse at me was a constant reminder that I look good, but a small part in my head never wanted that extra attention. If I were to make an online dating profile, I need to answer a lot of queries that, in my mind, was like work email. I never liked answering work emails in the first place.

2. I still firmly believe to meet my other half, preferably, in person first rather than online. It makes the whole romance sweet. And where did it leave me, after five years in the industry? No relationships, only hookups.

3. I don't like to  expose my personal data on these sketchy applications. But, then again, I use social media applications that exploit my personal information. So what's the harm?

4. Meeting my other half in person is harder, I know, but it filters out (most of the time) those who want a relationship and who want sex. We're consenting adults now. Sex is a need for a lot of people, both men and women.

I contemplated on that thought while waiting for Karl to arrive. We arranged to meet at Cafe Antonio, a cozy cafe in Anest Tower relatively far off the campus. He originally wanted to meet at Starbucks, but I refused because, c'mon, my blood would be filled with coffee from the enterprise.

I enjoyed the quiet, ukulele background music of Cafe Antonio. I liked the rustic theme of the tables, with rattan on chairs and the base of the glass table, old photographs and worn-down movie posters from the '60s. The walls and the pillars resemble the color of uncooked rice. There was a mini stage with an empty microphone stand and a cabinet full of cookbooks next to it.

Good thing that I brought my laptop here. I worked on my personal project while waiting. I sat next to the windows, and sipped my black coffee.

I opened my phone and chatted Karl: I'm already here

He didn't reply after five minutes. 

Wait, otw

Is Marvin with you?

Nope

I'm here all alone

Oh okay

What food do you like? I'll order now for us
My treat

It's okay, I can pay later
Soy garlic chicken and latte for me

Alright

Before I dived in my project, I walked on the counter to order our meals. I tried their Spicy Beef Curry because of my sudden cravings for anything with heat; another cup of coffee to boost me up; quesadillas for more cheese; and fries, because why not.

I plugged on my earphones and listened to Ben & Ben's Limasawa Street album. The gigs and concerts of Ben & Ben that I happened to stop by and watch made me try and listen to their music. The first one was their album tour on Alabang Town Center, when Candace and Marvin had pulled me as their driver. Then, at SM Mall of Asia when the four of us shopped for Christmas gifts and they had a surprise gig. And I must admit that they're good, especially their main guitarist, Poch Baretto.

Their song, Araw-Araw, was one of the songs I liked to play the most in my guitar. I would belt it in the balcony of my condominium during the times when I needed music to de-stress and let everything out in a song. 

I wasn't paying attention until someone nudged my shoulder.

"H-Hey."

I removed my earphones and turned back. A smile in my face followed suit. I immediately removed my bag from the empty seat in front of me and put it below the table. I closed my laptop without turning it off and put it inside my bag.