Axel learns the truth.

We didn't talk while walking for about a kilometer to the goto place that I was talking about. There was nothing to talk about, and I was afraid that I would mess it up if I spoke about Karla.

I finally got what Paula said about Karla. After a few minutes of their interaction, it was weird when I introduced them to each other. But they weren't alike in any way, except for their names. The similarities ended there. Karla was outgoing; Karl was introverted. She was adventurous; he would rather stay inside his room. She was a lover; he was a... friend.

"We're here," I announced after stopping in a two-storey open restaurant.

He took a step back when we arrived at Lugawan sa Tejeros.

"This has the best goto that you've tried?" he asked. He pointed at the place. "It seemed... worn down."

"Don't let the exterior fool you."

I patted his shoulders and motioned him to fall in line.

Lugawan sa Tejeros sported a dirty yellow paint in its worn out walls and floor. However, it did not stop for the customers--it was bustling, and all the tables in the first floor were already taken. Karl fanned his body using his shirt and squinted his eyes.

"What's your order?" I asked. "I recommend the goto with lechon kawali and egg."

"Sure. I'll take that."

"Can you go upstairs and reserve us seats?"

He nodded and went upstairs.

It was Paula who discovered this place three years ago, thanks to one of her exes who brought her here after being wasted at their company night-out. Using her exact words, she described the place as "the most soothing place I've been excluding Elbi."

The four of us tried it, and it was one of our go-to places to get goto.

I ordered my usual--arroz caldo with lechon kawali and egg, then two servings of Palabok, two tokwa't baboy, and four lumpiang toge for Karl and I. And an extra serving of lechon kawali for me. I wished we bought drinks before we got here, though.

Of course, I didn't forget to ask for a separate saucer for toasted garlic, red pepper flakes, and calamansi.

I had to balance all of that in a singe tray, and the stairs that could only fit half of my feet were definitely not helping. 

I saw Karl sitting in front of the railings, gazing out to the people on the street. I almost spilled the contents of the tray in front of him. He helped me dismount our food gently.

"Why did you buy this many?" he retorted.

"I want you to try all of these."

"I can't possibly eat all of these."

"Trust me--you will."

 He got an empty saucer and did his specialty dipping sauce--a lot of soy sauce and calamansi, then a bit of the red pepper flakes. He dipped his spoon on the sauce and put some on the edge of his bowl of goto.

I watched him take the first bite.

"So, how was it?" He bowed his head and continued eating. I laughed. "See, I told you it's good,"

"Shut up," he said in between his spoonfuls.

What I loved about their goto was how I get the crunchiness and saltiness of the lechon kawali, then paired it with the warmth of the broth they used for their goto. It was a blank canvas--the way I did it was I add calamansi, a dash of soy sauce, and a tablespoon of the toasted garlic.