Axel goes back home.

Days before the wedding, Paula and I tried to make as much as we could to make the wedding flawless. During breaks in my work, I was the one who followed-up on the flowers, catering, and reception committee at the hotel we would be staying at. Paula handled the guests and their confirmation.

Our band had one last practice in a Tuesday night. We finalized the six songs we would be playing at their first dance. Of course, Tenerife Sea would be the first one. I contacted the hotel regarding the sound system and tasked them to also rent a drum set.

On Wednesday, Paula called me in the middle of a meeting.

I excused myself and answered the call outside the conference room.

"Paula, I'm in the middle of a meeting--"

"I have bad news," she said. Her tone was tensed and quiet. "I'm still at work too."

"What's it?"

"Karl's having second thoughts on coming."

"WHAT?"

Some of the employees looked at me suspiciously.

I whispered back, "What happened?"

"I just talked to him. He's..." She sighed. "He's still not ready to see you again."

"Well, fuck."

"I know," she said. "And also, you should get Marvin and your attires for the wedding and the reception."

"I have that scheduled tomorrow. I'm taking the half day off."

Her voice was a little shaky. "I don't know how to say this to Candace or Marvin."

"I'll try to do something."

"Alright."

I ended the call with uncertainty in my mind.

--

The next day, I went to Lumban, Laguna after taking lunch with Migs and Macky at the office. I confirmed with them if they were staying for the night at the reception, in which they both said yes and already booked theirs last week.  

I hit the road with my aircon on. The heat today would kill me. I unbuttoned my polo so I could breathe better.

I went to a McDonald's Drive-Thru on the way to buy iced coffee and two chicken sandwiches to clench my thirst for a cold drink. When I arrived at SLEX, I went to Starbucks to order an Iced Latte.

I played the wedding playlist for last minute changes. 

I opened my windows as soon as I went past Junction in Los Banos.

I arrived at Lumban at 4:30PM. I was greeted with trees and the fresh breeze of the countryside. I took turns and looked for the shop where Marvin and I ordered our wedding attires.

When I arrived, the owners of the shop even gave me snacks for my long journey going here. They must've deduced that I came from work in Manila. I gladly accepted their offer and ate a hot turon and palitaw.

After that, I took our barongs and placed it carefully on the backseat.

Time to go back in Manila.

I tuned in to our band's track list for the wedding, and I sang along in the road to practice some more.

I was nearing Junction in Los Banos when I saw the faint orange glow in the sky. Ben&Ben's Ride Home played on the speaker.