Karl is the fifth wheel.

Before I knew it, Saturday had come. After a trip to the thrift store, I managed to find a decent polo--a cerulean polo with white buttons. I just used my slacks from my high school prom since that was a memento from my father (plus, it's sleek!). I washed it two times to remove any dirt or residue (because, let's be honest, this is a thrift store item) and ironed it, folding it properly so it would have less creases when I wore it upon arrival at the venue.  

I also had a new haircut for a change. Before, I used to have a normal barber's cut, but the gay hair stylist (that I really liked, because she was always treated me like a big deal in their salon, plus she always had a new story to share with me) changed it to a high fade that outlined my jaw better. She said that I could keep this with or without a pomade if I was trying out a messy or a subtle formal look (and she also told me I was cute either way).

The only thing that messed up my outfit was my shoes. I didn't have any proper leather shoes, so I opted for my black rubber shoes with a white sole. I changed its laces from white to black just to complete the illusion. 

I met with others who were also commuting at the venue on Olivarez, where the bus stop is going to MRT-Magallanes. We were about 10 or so, including the five of us. Candace, the debutante, pleaded for her parents to come with us instead of fetching her from the university. But, I doubt that's the case. She hadn't left Marvin's side ever since I got here.

We were all dressed on casual clothes, except for Axel who was still on his usual polo and shorts. Add in the sunglasses as well. Paula, who wore an oversized shirt and shorts that was underneath the shirt, had her hair tied in a bun while her sunglasses were on her forehead.

And I was in the middle of the two soon-to-be-couples. Great. I guess I have to sit with a stranger later. It's better than--

I groaned as soon as I saw Marc waving at my direction. I had been jinxed, for the love of Hawaiian pizza.

I heard Paula whisper on the air, "Him again."

She had every right to say that, though. After that night, I tried to limit my interactions with him with the help of Paula. Whenever he approached me, I would use my arsenal of excuses (cue: "I have to go to the library"; "I'm working on something with Paula"; "I have tutoring class")

He was wearing a white and maroon university shirt paired with denim shorts, nothing compared to Axel though. He had his usual charcoal backpack with him. He went on my side, next to Candace, and sat on the pavement.

"It's so hot," he complained. 

We all agreed to meet here at 10AM. However, we couldn't find a single bus that could accommodate us all. Thirty minutes after, we agreed to join in batches and meet at Alphaland, the mall next to the MRT station. The first batch, about 10 of them, already went on, ensuring that at least one of them knew how to cross the street properly and knew Alphaland.

The six of us were the only ones left after a new bus arrived.

No one was talking. Paula and Axel shared earphones. Candace was watching a K-drama from her phone. Marvin was playing a mobile game. I was listening to Red. Marc was spacing out while eating fries and burger that he bought from Jollibee.

I was looking straight, because I didn't want to steal glances on Axel, and I wouldn't look at Marc as well. 

After two buses, the crowd around us dissipated, only leaving us and a couple of passengers waiting for a bus. And when it arrived, six people went out of the bus. Sweet.

Marc and I were the last ones to get on board. Axel was in front of me. He said, "Take the empty seats in the third row. We'll be at the back."

I ignored him, but I did what he said. I took the window side, and scooted as far from Marc as I could. I put my towel in my nose and swatted the aircon to his side only. I held my phone on my left hand so I could change songs quickly.