Axel cooks the liempo!

Probably the greatest irony in my dream of cooking in a barbeque party was my inexperience in igniting the charcoal by myself. I knew how to cook in a grill, since my parents had an electric grill, but I never had the chance to do this chore by myself.

"Would you help me, please?" I told Karl. He was leaning against the wall, manning the entire pool area for Robin. I peeked as well to check, and she was with Marc on the pool. 

"You're asking for a new favor?"

"I don't know how to light these charcoal."

"Are you serious?"

"I wouldn't ask help if I was."

I was surprised at how prepared this villa was. Under the chimney was a small cabinet containing charred pieces of hardwood, newspapers neatly stacked at the side, and some dried leaves. 

He stood in front of the grill and I placed my arms on his shoulders, but he dove down to reach the dried leaves and the newspapers.

"Look closely. This is how we do it."

He removed the grill and handed it to me. "But first, wash that."

There was already a soap dispenser and a dishwasing liquid on the sink. I didn't even notice. I I washed it, removing the black dirt that clung on the steel racks. By the time I was finished, it was good as new.

I checked on Karl. He built a nest out of the charcoal, with a crumpled pieces of newspaper in the middle under the dried leaves. He was constantly feed the flames with more newspaper and leaves.

"Would you please hand me a fan?"

"Maybe Paula has a battery-powered."

He groaned. "Just check if there's a sturdy carton below."

"Oh. Oh."

I stooped down to search for that. I used my phone to see through the night slowly emerged from the sky. I handed it to him as soon as I saw one.

"So, how are you?" I asked. I kept my phone in my pocket. I found another carton and helped him fan the flames.

"Good."

"How's your students?"

"They're having their 3rd Long Exam next week. So, wish them luck."

"Did you make the exam?"

"Sir Gabe did."

"Oh no, he's nasty. Remember our CMSC 127 exam where no one passed?"

He smiled in agreement. "He's just slightly nicer this time around, since we're dealing with freshies."

"Do you have students running for a flat 1.00?"

"Seven. Five of them in my lab section."

"Oof. Maybe some of your students would be suspicious."

"About?"

"You know, they're so good because the lecturer was their lab instructor kind of stories, yada yada yada."

"Ah, haven't heard that yet. All I could hear was that I was cute."

I stopped fanning and tickled his hip. I laughed and teased him, "Look at you, the new ICS cutie."

"I'm not on Sir JM level yet, where girls are gushing over him."

"But you look good!"

He didn't reply, and he fell silent again. I saw him bit his lip. I shrugged it off and clung my arm to his neck. He slapped it with the paper carton.