Why Chic Lies

(Warnings: Talks about Child Abuse and this may be a sensitive topic. If this is too trigging feel free to skip this one if you need to. This is inspired by the song Alyssa Lies by Jason Michael Carroll.)
-xxx

On Friday afternoon, Alice and FP were sitting in the living room, holding hot coco in their hands when the door open and walked in their son, Charles. Their seven year old's head was drooped low and his eyes had redden circles. Alice noticed that something was wrong with her baby boy. FP sat up from the couch and leaned forward.

"Charles." He started as soon as he saw the tear drops forming in the little boy's eyes.

He looked to his wife when Charles shrugged his shoulders and walked passed them. Alice's eyes drop lower, trying to comprehend what just happened. Her and FP follow their little boy in the kitchen and spot the cheek stained boy staring at them.

"Daddy, Mommy, why does Chic lies?" The question made pits grow in their stomachs.

FP and Alice shared a look before sitting down next to him at the table. "Who's Chic?"

Charles looked at his parents and sighed tearfully. "He's my new friend at school. Chic lies to the classroom." FP's heart slowly drops in his gut. He knew something wasn't right as he and Alice listened to their son. "Chic lies everyday at school. Chic lies to the teachers as he tries to cover every bruise." It killed Alice when she heard those words come out of her son's mouth.

"Why does Chic Lies?"

FP and Alice were just stepping out and then heard him say: "God bless my mom and my dad, And my new friend, Chic. I know he needs you bad." Their son's cries broke their hearts.

FP felt his heart crack as tears started filling his eyes. That poor boy didn't deserve to be abused like that and again, no child should. And that night, FP and Alice had the worst night of sleep after they listen to their son have a little prayer to himself in his bedroom. Alice cuddled up next FP's shaking body. She knew that Chic caused FP to remember his time with his father. She doesn't say anything and decided to try to sleep.

The whole weekend was agony for the two parents. And on Monday, FP took off work and he joined his wife to drop their son off at school today. Alice helps Charles out of the car and walks into the building.

Charles turned to his mom and dad." Why is everyone sad?" Alice noticed it too and the pit in her stomach grew bigger as she squeezed FP's hand. His big eyes stared up at them.

"Charles, how about you put your backpack on the hook." FP decided to distract him and Charles took the backup and walked away.

Alice spotted Charles' teacher coming out of her classroom with red eyes. She looked over at FP and he nodded. The two of them walked over to their son's teacher and hoped that their minds were just tricking them.

"Mrs. Thompson." Alice called out.

Mrs. Thompson gave a weak smile and walked over to them. "Mrs. Jones, Mr. Jones." She greeted back.

FP asked." I was wondering if you knew a kid here, Chic." The teacher's face showed something that FP couldn't shake.

"Chic isn't here anymore." Alice and FP saw a tear roll down her cheek.

"Did he move?" FP questioned.

The teacher shakes her head." He passed away, Mr. Jones."

"The bruise." FP and Alice said together, fighting back their emotions.

Mrs. Thompson nods." The bruise." Her eyes blink shut." I gotta tell the others... could you.."

"We will tell him." Alice said as she wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

They watched as the teacher disappeared down the hallway and then their seven year old came back into their view.

"Daddy... why are you crying?" Little Charles asked him. A lump formed in his throat, constricting him from speaking.

Alice got down on her knees and looked Charles in his innocent eyes. "Charlie... honey... Chic isn't coming to school today."

Charles looked his mom in confusion." Why?"

Alice didn't realize that she was crying until she felt tears running down her cheeks. She knew FP had been crying too. She never wanted to tell her son this. Not this.

"Chic doesn't lie in the classroom anymore, Charlie." FP stepped in, gently rubbing Alice's back with his hand. "He doesn't lie anymore."

"Why?" Charlie asked again.

FP takes a deep breath and finally says it. "Charlie, Chic's up with the angels, baby."

Charles buried his face into his mama's shoulders. "Why did Chic lies?" He sobbed.

FP and Alice decided to take their son out of school today and went home. The rest of the day was quiet. Alice made dinner in silence and FP held their heartbroken boy in his arms as he cried.

-xxxx-

Alice found FP staring up at the ceiling, hollowly. She dipped into the mattress and held out her hand. FP's head found its place on her lap and tears fell onto her pant leg.

"Why didn't we save him?" Her husband's broken voice hurt her soul.

Alice leaned down and kissed his temple. Her hands smoothed through his hair. "We tried, FP. We tried, baby."

FP lifted his head off her lap and angrily wiped at his eyes. "I was like him! I could've been like that boy!" FP cried.

"I know. But you didn't and I'm so sorry you ever had to through that." She told her husband as tears filled her eyes.

FP cursed himself for making Alice cry. That wasn't his intention. He hated that his son lost a friend today because he didn't say anything soon. He should've and maybe Chic would still be alive. His mind was filled with what ifs and his heart had been shattered by his son's cries: "Daddy why?!"

His father used to beat him and now he wished he could've stop a innocent child from enduring what he had. "Alice, why?"

Alice looked into her husband's eyes, cupped his cheeks and said." Because people are sick, FP. You didn't deserve it, nor did that child. He's with the angels now and he's safe, baby."
Alice kissed him one last time and held him close as he sobbed along with her. Chic Lies.

Chic Lies... with the angels.

-----xxxxxxxx---

I know this was a sad one. If you suspect any abuse please do your part and save the child's life. I hope this one opened your eyes and also I'm sorry if I made you cry. I cried too.