148

We were waiting until we were in a good place and weren't traveling as much. No," I said, still shaking my head. "Come here," she said, patting the couch seat next to her. I sat and she passed me baby Mariah again. "Sorry sweetie, but I'm afraid you're never ready for a baby. Doesn't matter how prepared you think you are. Might as well just bite the bullet and get that pregnancy test." So I did. I bought one, and waited for Colby to get back from his trip. He was shell shocked when I told him, and probably more impatient than I was for the little stick to plus sign or a negative sign. I held it up for him to see, my eyes wide, and my mouth unable to form words. He was quiet for a moment, just staring at the little plus sign, then he snatched me up in his arms, and swung me around as he buried his face in my neck. I laughed, and held onto his neck tightly. "Oh," he exclaimed, then set me down on my feet gently. "I probably shouldn't have done that since you're pregnant." Those words sounded weird to me. "I'm pregnant," I whispered, trying to get a feel for it. It didn't seem real. I let go of Colby and pressed my hand to my still somewhat flat stomach. "There's a life inside of me." I felt anxiety rising inside of me, and I swallowed hard to try and force it down. "Colby, I don't know how to be a mother. My own mother was never a good example. What if I'm like her? What if I completely fuck this up, and our baby grows up to be a complete mess. I can't do this. I don't think I can do this." He gathered me close to him, my head on his chest, while he lay his cheek on top of my head. His hand came up to stroke my hair. "Shhh, don't worry about that. You're going to be an amazing mother T. I don't know anyone as loving as you, as strong as you. This baby is going to be so lucky to have you as a mother. Oh God," he said, then laughed. "What?" I asked, still kind of freaking out. My word came out muffled because my face was still buried against his chest. "My mom. I have to tell her. I have to tell my parents. They're going to freak." I had met Colby's family before we got married, and I fell in love with them. They were so different from my own family. Full of love and not afraid to show it. I remembered the first time that I met them and his mother, Leesa, had gathered me into her arms. She was shorter than me and it felt weird because I didn't know her. I had met Colby's eyes over her head, and saw the biggest smile ever on his face. He was truly a Momma's boy. It didn't take long for me to feel at home with these people. It helped me understand Colby a little more, to understand why his heart was so big. Once we had calmed down a little after finding out that we were going to have a baby, I made an appointment with a OBGYN to make sure before telling anyone. We got our first sonogram that day, and the baby looked looked like an itty bitty Teddy Bear. "You're about 10 weeks pregnant," the doctor told me. When he told me my due date, Colby and I looked at each other and laughed. "Something I should know?" the doctor asked, smiling and raising his eyebrows. Colby shook his head, with a grin. "It's just the date you just gave us is my best friend's birthday. He'll love that." So, we gathered all of our friends together a week later to tell them. We had asked them to all make sure that they could be home this particular weekend because it was very important. Everyone showed up at our home that evening, and we gathered outside in the backyard. There was a screened in area that we used and it kept the mosquitoes away. "So what's the big news?" Xepher asked, leaning into Griffin. Denise was staring at me, her eyebrows furrowed. Then a huge grin crossed her face. "I knew it!" She yelled. I shot her a glare and shook my head. "Sorry," she said, sinking down into her seat with the grin still on her face. "Well, what is it?" Kat asked. "I've got something to tell you guys too but I don't want to steal your thunder. So hurry up!" We all laughed a little, and I wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans. Colby was next to me, one arm around my waist, resting on my hip. "Well, I guess we just come right out and say it. You wanna take this?" he asked me, winking. I nodded, and automatically put my hand on my belly, like I needed to protect the life inside of me. "WHAT!?" Katrina screamed, scaring me so badly that I think my soul left my body. "Yeah," I said, laughing as my adrenaline coursed through my veins. "Oh my God T!" All of my, no, our friends took turns giving us hugs and clapping Colby on the back. "Are you excited?" Tara asked, holding Jake's hand. I nodded. "I am, but I'm also terrified." "That's normal," Sarah said, glancing over to Brennen who was standing next to Sam and Colby with their little boy on his hip. "It's going to be insane, terrifying, overwhelming, and most days you may not think you can make it. But when that baby looks at you with so much love and devotion in it's eyes, completely dependent on you...it'll all be worth it." Denise nodded in agreement. "There's nothing like it," she sighed, a dreamy smile on her face. We talked about what we needed to do to prepare, and the girls went over their own baby stories with me, when Katrina spoke up again. "So, um, I was going to tell you guys this tomorrow but I'm so excited with the way things worked out. Is it okay if I kind of join the spotlight T?" I laughed, and nodded.