Chapter 38 - The Dinner Party

A/N - Hey Lovelies!  We're getting close to the thick of it now - but there's still more to come!  I hope you're still enjoying and keeping with the story.  Unfortunately, as we all know, nothing is ever easy, so there's still some heartache to come!  Please let me know what you think - and as always don't forget to vote and send your reactions!!  Enjoy!!

____****____

Rey sat in a chair in Amala's room and let the attendant fuss over her.  Her name was Jaeru, and she was chatting non-stop at Rey while she readied her for the dinner party.  She still couldn't believe that she was going to a dinner party!  When Amala had approached her yesterday and told her that she wanted to host a dinner in her honour before she went back to the Resistance Base, Rey had abjectly refused.  She had never been to something as formal as that before, and the thought of it had made her very nervous.  But Amala had persuaded her, explaining how fitting it would be, since the Generals she had rescued had never really had a chance to thank her properly.   Amala had also let her know that she could invite any others that she would like to attend.

Rey laughed as she remembered her first words after agreeing.   "Um, not Hux."

Amala had also laughed and whispered.  "I don't think anyone would ever invite him to this type of a party.  He has a giant stick up his ass.  Makes it hard for him to sit still and behave for more than a few minutes."  They had both laughed uproariously at that.

Rey had insisted that both Lieutenants Tiga and Munro also be invited, in addition to Peavey and Needa, as well as General Pride.   She also wanted the Stormtrooper Delta to be invited, with a guest.   Amala had initially been taken aback at Rey's request for Delta, and had gently told her that Stormtroopers generally didn't socialize with Officers.  Sensing Rey's disappointment however, she thought about it a bit more, shrugged and told her with a smile.  "Why not?  Things in the First Order are changing, so why not this too?"

Once the guest list was settled, they had needed to decide on what Rey would wear.  Amala suggested that Rey drop by her quarters once she was off duty, and they could browse through some dress designs on her holopad.  It had ended up being a fun evening, with the two of them comfortably curled up on the sofa, glasses of fruity wine in hand, browsing through literally hundreds of dresses.  At the beginning, Rey didn't even know where to start.  She told her new friend that she had grown up with literally nothing, and had no clue what style of dress would suit her lithe frame.  Amala had just smiled, and said,  "Trust me, we'll find one and it'll be beautiful."

They had started with basic shapes, and then eliminated, finally settling on one with a clingy, halter shaped top and a long flowing skirt.   Rey had always been partial to grey or white, but Amala suggested that she go with something different – maybe a blue or a red tone.  She didn't feel comfortable with red, feeling that it would be too bright and she'd stand out too much, so instead decided on a royal blue.   Amala assured her that it would be stunning, and also ordered a long, sparkling crystal necklace set in a silvery metal.

Now, as she sat and watched her reflection in the mirror as Jaeru applied some light make-up, she didn't recognize herself.  Her hair had been curled, and was pulled up away from her face and onto the top of her head, flowing down in a cascade.  The dress had arrived earlier today and Rey could only stare at it in wonder when she had first opened the box.  Seeing it on herself, she was overwhelmed at how beautiful and feminine she felt wearing it, as well as the necklace that Amala had insisted upon.  The make up Jaeru had used highlighted her eyes and lips, and there was a light sheen of sparkly colour on her cheekbones that made them glow.  A pair of matching shoes had also arrived with the dress, and added at least 2 inches to her height.  She'd still be several inches shorter than Ben though.