Chapter 46 - Cause and Effect

A/N - Hello all my fellow Reylo Lovelies!!  OMG, OMG, OMG - you helped this story hit 4K in reads.  WOW!!  I am so excited!!  I never thought that so many people would like it and be interested in reading it.  So THANK YOU so very, very much.  And well....we've finally reached that point in the story.... but just breathe.....🤭 Everything will be okay. 😊.  I hope you enjoy it!  Please leave me some love and comments - I'd especially like to hear them on this Chapter.  And please don't forget to vote!!  Thank you again for helping to make this so much fun!!

____****____

The lights were dim as the two lovers lay in bed later that night, their arms wrapped around each other in their now typical spooning pose.  It was how they usually fell asleep each night.   Rey sighed in sleepy contentment, happy to feel Ben next to her – wrapped around her.  She had felt more tired than usual tonight, but had chalked it up to the stress of being on the Resistance Base today.

When she had first arrived at the base, everything had seemed okay, but as the day wore on she began to get a funny vibe from others around her – Rose, Kay and Leia excluded.  It took a few hours, and some odd looks, but eventually she figured out the cause.

Many were aware that Poe Dameron had left the base, and it seemed like they were blaming her for his departure.  Rey had felt their skepticism and growing hostility towards her all day, and even though she was sure that they didn't know the full story, she had been upset that they would jump to conclusions about what had happened.  Thinking about it, she admitted that it hurt her feelings – that they would hold her responsible without really knowing everything that had happened.  I guess many of them weren't as good friends as I believed, she thought to herself sadly.

Ben could feel her tremulous emotions, and tried his best to soothe her.  He gently stroked a hand over her hip, while placing soft kisses at the side of her neck and just below her ear, which he knew she liked.  Feeling her relax a bit, he asked her quietly, his voice resonating deeply.  "Are you feeling a little better now?"

"Mmmm.  Yes."  She breathed.  "Being with you always relaxes me.  Especially in your arms like this."   She turned her head to look at him.  "But what about you?   You were so angry earlier – I was really worried."

He knew she'd had a rough day, and didn't want to worry her with all the details of his troubles with Hux.  That could wait for another day.  "It was nothing."  He told her, brushing it off.  "The Ascendancy was ready for delivery a bit earlier than expected, and there was a minor issue related to that.  I'll take possession of it tomorrow though."

"You were that angry over a minor issue?"  She asked in surprise.

"No."  He told her softly, with a sigh, deciding that he needed to explain a bit.  "I also found out that Hux was feeding the Vandorians a lot of misinformation."  He let out a frustrated sigh.  "It's likely one of the reasons why we couldn't reach a peaceful solution with them in regards to ending their slave trade.   That is what really pissed me off."

"They tried to kill you because of it.  What will you do?"  She whispered.

"I'm not really sure yet.   I'll figure something out.  But I need to make an example of this – to make sure it doesn't happen again."

She could feel him getting angry again and so tried to change the subject.  "So, are we going to live on the Ascendancy now?"

He smiled against her hair, excited at the idea he was about to share with her.  "For a little while."