043

𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐈𝐭 𝐈𝐬

"𝘌𝘪𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘳𝘶𝘯𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶."

― Jim Rohn

Elias's face dims, and his brain was being shredded from the inside

Elias's face dims, and his brain was being shredded from the inside. Emotional pain flowed out of his every pore.

He visibly gritted his teeth that even the eyes of the strangers around him were suddenly wet with tears.

His fingers covered with blood wrap the hand gear as his hands violently shaking would not cause him to fall, and from his eyes came a thicker flow of tears than he had cried for even his mother. After all, he never knew his mother.

The entire world had vanished for him, now there was only pain enough to break him, pain enough to change him beyond recognition.

The place once again depicted an obscure cavern of brimming darkness, which was not abnormal to Elias. However, as it is beginning to be one.

The night sky was her comfort, making his comfort as well. But now, knowing she died, he can't push himself to gaze at the twilight sky, as it is becoming his nightmare.

Elias knows everyone will die someday. Including her.

And that wasn't truly dreading to him, it was the things that made him remember her.

Her brown jacket gently laid on the pavement that he discarded when he decided her scent that still lingers in her room. Her favorite food to which he saw every day, every time they went to eat together.

Even the blade he is clenching right now. Since she is the reason he became a Scout, Elias can't break out as every inch of his surroundings was a remembrance of her.

However, he hopes that if he went outside the gate. He'd be seeing her alive, standing and smiling at him. Thinking this was all nothing but a nightmare.

He precisely wakes up when they reach the inside of Karanes District, behind the enormous gate.

Walking towards the gate, his pace was slow and gentle, and yet, it made the other Scouts watch in silence. A terrifying, and yet sorrowful, aura surrounds Elias.

He is still drained from the expedition, his head is thumping in pain, but he didn't care at all as the Scouts came to a halt when they noticed Elias pulling the reins of their horses.

Elias continues walking as he passes the other Scouts, while the tired civilians scratch their temples in confusion.

The civilians couldn't believe seeing the man scratches all over his body, looking utterly defeated, and yet he continues walking to hell, wanting to go back.