S4 E13.4: Whatever Comes Next

Amber's POV

My daughter carefully wraps her hand around Linny's, positioning it perfectly at Linny's guidance. The two of them sit on one of the couches in Jonah and Walker's living room, laughing and chatting together. Andi and I watch from the kitchen island while sipping Bubly sparkling waters, the rest of our families hanging out on the other seating. Austen and Declan play together with Austen's dolls on the carpet, the girl directing the boy on how to dress them, while Cara and Wyatt converse in the dining room. Nobody knows where Brayden, Andreas, or Jayda are, but we're assuming they'll turn up. When I look at Andi, she has shiny eyes as she observes our daughter.

"Andi, how are you doing?" I ask.

"I don't know," she admits. "She's getting older so quick. Feels like just yesterdy she was using us as lab rats while staining our wall with ink."

"And now she is almost an adult and has a girlfriend and a car and already knows who she's voting for in the next federal election," I say. "Time really flies."

"I feel like we've all been through so much in the past few years," Andi utters.

"Especially you," I agree. "And you've been so brave. Of course, I wouldn't expect anything less from Andi Mack."

Andi smiles at me, but soon she stops to instead step in and kiss my lips. Instantly, I get flashbacks to us doing this back when we were teenagers: the taste of coconut lip balm, the scent of acrylic paint, and the sound of The 1975 playing on her crackly Bluetooth stereo. We split apart at the sound of Bex and Bowie greeting everyone as they enter in, Bowie carrying a dish he probably cooked himself.

"Are we late?" Bex asks.

"Nope," TJ answers.

"We have no idea where the graduates are anyway," Buffy adds.

Hazel's POV

"Your necklace is twisted." Linny reaches for the rose pendant on my chest but then freezes in mid-air to ask, "May I?"

"Go for it."

She smiles and flips the flower around to let the detailed side show. Pleased, she drops her hand, but something about her blueberry eyes and slightly slanted smile sparks a whim to kiss her. I give in to it, and she lets me, pressing her lips hard to mine.

Suddenly, even more people enter the house, but it isn't my cousins. Rather, it's my friends, Fatima, Darius, Kelsey, and Aimée. They all say hi as they come over to join us in the living room.

"Where are your cousins?" Fatima wonders, looking around.

"No clue," I reply.

"Where's Brayden?" Kelsey then asks.

"He left during the ceremony," I explain.

Kelsey furrows her brows in confusion, but I unfortunately can't give her more information than that, because I know nothing else.

Then Aimée steps forward to say, "Not to change the subject, but, um, I'm using she/they pronouns now, so, uh, yeah."

"Cool, lovely," I respond with a smile, and I can see her nervousness subside.

"Oh my goodness," Linny breathes out of the blue.

She stares out the window, looking stunned by something that I can no longer see.

"What?" Kelsey asks.

That's when Brayden comes through the door, alongside a boy I recognize from the many photos I've seen. Not only am I surprised, but the whole room is. It seems nobody was expecting to see this boy step into this house today, let alone step into this town. He looks down, uncomfortable with all the eyes, so Brayden takes his hand, instantly comforting him.