S4 E13.3: Whatever Comes Next

Cyrus's POV

The field is covered in rows of chairs all filled by the friends and family of the students. Ahead of them, the graduating class sits, their blue gowns like a pacific wave stretching across the grass. A stage has been set up with a podium on top and some of the school's staff are up there, too, in chairs. Guidance counsellors don't get to partake in the graduation ceremony, so I'm with my family in the regular seating.

I lay my jacket over my chair and sit down beside TJ and Wyatt. Farther to my left, Buffy snatches a small, wooden rubber band gun out of Cara's hands. I'm not sure what they were planning to do with that, but it's probably best Buffy noticed it. Beyond them are the Kippen-Macks, and to my right is Jonah's family.

Seeing that Cara's now taken out a second toy, this one being a ball on a stick that Cara starts trying to swing and catch on the peg on top, Buffy shoots her child a stern look.

"Your brother's graduating," Buffy states. "Give him your attention."

"Are we sure he's graduating?" Cara counters. "It seems unlikely."

Not noticing the conversation unfolding beside us, TJ turns to me and says, "Can you believe Jayda's already graduating?"

"Without summer school, too," I add.

"She'll be off to college next year, and Wyatt will be in high school. They're growing up so fast."

"Yeah," I agree. "Time is funny like that. The older you get, the faster it goes. That's why we have to cherish it."

"Well, I'm glad I chose to spend it with you," TJ says with a smile. He holds my gaze for a moment before speaking again. "I love you. I don't know if I say it enough."

That makes me grin, and I tell him, "Don't worry. You do."

________________________________________

Brayden's POV

The valedictorian's speech was average. I've heard almost the same one before multiple times in movies. And that's only what I caught whenever I was able to tune out the buzzing silence of my cell phone angrily laying dead and dark in my palm. Deion still hasn't replied. At this point, I don't think he ever will. I click on my phone again to have another desperate look.

"You okay?" Hazel asks.

"No, I am not," I huff.

She places her hand on my wrist, an act that feels like pity.

"Hazel, I know you're trying to comfort me, but it's really not working."

"Hey," Auntie Andi whispers to us, "they're starting with the names now."

I do my best to give my attention to the principal as he begins listing off the list of graduates, but even as the crowd applauds for each student that crosses the stage, I can't keep my eyes from flickering back to my phone every few seconds.

"Andreas Driscoll."

My brother gets up and mounts the stage, waving to his friends in a way radiates stereotypical coolness. As he passes midway across the stage, she stops to take a bow, and his hat falls off. He saves it with a smooth catch and looks back up, grinning, before carrying on to stand with the rest of the graduates on the side.

Jayda's goth friend goes up right before her, and I'm actually very impressed by how fast and elegantly Jayda manages to walk in her 6-inch heels. Our families clap as she reaches the other end of the stage, but before my hands even touch together, my phone screen lights up, and my entire body has a moment of pure panic like a refrigerator tipping over a stairwell.