S1 E4.2: Dad in Town

Amber's POV

When the door opens and TJ's family steps in, I feel a huge portion of my worry lift off my chest.

"Oh, thank God," I breathe.

Now that TJ's here, there's another Kippen to keep my dad entertained. He hasn't arrived yet, but he's going to be here later in the evening, and Andi already cut off my wine intake for the day so my stress is thriving.

While Jayda and Wyatt join Hazel in the living room, TJ and Cyrus come over to me and Andi in the kitchen, TJ's eyes examining my current state.

"You look awful," he says.

"You look dumb," I snipe back.

"Yup," Andi mumbles. "Still siblings."

"I'm sorry," I say. "I've just been freaking out a lot about Dad coming."

TJ sighs and says, "I know Dad's been kinda inconsistent when it came to being there for us, and he left without notice, but even if he bothers you, you can put up with him for the few days he'll be here. Really, what are you so worried about?"

I look over at the living room where Hazel is busy talking with Jayda and make sure she isn't going to overhear me. She's probably already scared enough about this all too. I don't need to build on to her fears with my own.

Deciding it's safe, I whisper, "Hazel."

TJ doesn't get it. "Why—? Oh. Right."

"Yeah," I huff.

Before I can get myself worked up all over again, I try to turn my mind onto something else, saying, "Anyway, what's new with you two?"

"Um, well, we just got the alarm system keypad replaced," Cyrus explains.

Andi furrows her brows. "What was wrong with it?"

"Jayda's boyfriend has questionable hobbies," Cyrus answers.

Jayda's POV

Whoever invented the cell phone is a life-saver. Without it, I'd have to spend all afternoon with my family and no connection to the outside world. Even though I'm stuck here, at least I can scroll through my Instapic to keep from losing my sanity. The posts show everything that I need to be caught up with. Kelly got a new dress. Totally stunning. Angel got bangs. Cute! Brooke got bangs. Ugh. What a wannabe. Tatianna posted another selfie, with comments galore beneath, all saying the same general message: gorgeous, wow, beautiful. I like the photo and leave a comment of my own: 😍💕💕

"What are you looking at?" Hazel asks.

She sits on the other end of the couch, watching me as I continue to scroll.

"Instapic," I reply.

"Oh, cool."

One new like. It's on the bathroom selfie I took from over my shoulder to get my backside, a cute but hot pose, according to all the comments. The like is from Jeremy. I smile at the thought of him looking through my profile.

"Can I ask you a question?" Hazel speaks again. "You have good fashion sense."

"That's not a question," I reply, "and that's obvious."

"Would you give me fashion advice?"

My eyes spark at that, and I lock my phone.

"OMG, yes!" I answer. "For starters, yellow is not your colour."

She glances down at her yellow dress then back up to me.

"Yellow is my favorite colour," she says.