S2 E3.3: Makeup Your Mind

Jayda's POV

Maybe it's just because all my friends are kinda fake as hell—which I can't blame them for, since I am too—but in comparison, Oceana is, like, actually really cool. We haven't stopped talking this whole time. Andreas doesn't really talk, but he's here, sitting on a chair near the couch which Oceana and I occupy. I mean, we are talking about embarrassing Andreas stories, but they're all lowkey cute, and she's smiling, so I don't see a problem.

"Then there was this time when Andreas got so mad at his parents for taking away his gaming system that he lived in the playhouse in his backyard for four days."

"Oh my gosh," Oceana reacts, laughing.

"Tell me about it. And for a whole year, he refused to drink plain water, because he thought it was just wet air, and that grossed him out."

The two of us laugh again, but Andreas interrupts after a moment, saying, "Jayda, can I talk to you upstairs?"

"Uh, sure?" I stand up but look back at Oceana to say, "I'll be right back."

She smiles, and Andreas starts walking upstairs, so I follow.

Andreas's POV

Once in the living room, away from everyone downstairs and everyone in the kitchen, I turn around to face Jayda, and she looks completely clueless.

"Jayda, can you stop telling all those embarrassing stories?"

"They're not embarrassing—okay a little embarrassing, but who cares? It's all past."

She crosses her arms and stands with one hip out, like I'm overreacting, but she just doesn't get it.

"You're ruining it with Oceana," I tell her.

"How?"

"Because you're making me look stupid," I argue.

"No, I'm not. I'm making you look like a normal human being."

"Girls don't see me as a normal human. I'm cool and charming, not real."

"Andreas, you're being so stupid right now," she says with an eye-roll. "You're not all that, so stop acting like you are."

All of a sudden, Oceana's voice interrupts, asking, "Can I step in?"

Both of us whirl our eyes to her, and I wonder how long she's been here for. Jayda backs away, going down around toward the kitchen, giving Oceana and I space. When Oceana looks at me, she has a gentle smile on her face that eases my nerves a bit, although I still wish I could go back and un-invite her to this.

"Don't get mad at Jayda," she says. "She didn't ruin anything. Actually, I liked hearing all those stories. You don't open up a lot."

"Not just with you," I assure her.

"Andreas, I like you, so you don't need to pretend to be something you're not. I like dating real boys, not fake ones."

That makes me laugh a little, and after just looking at each other for a moment, her eyes fall down to my lips.

Jayda's POV

When he kisses her, I look away, feeling weird about eavesdropping, and just about seeing them kiss. As soon as I shift my eyes away, I realize Hazel is standing by me. I don't know how long she's been there for, but the fact that she's scared me also makes me annoyed.

"God. Do you knock?" I bark.

"There's no door," Hazel responds. "Jayda, you're in a hallway."

"Whatever," I mumble and step the rest of the way into the kitchen and dining room area where the adults are talking.