Short Episode 6: Wedding Day

Jayda's POV

"Let's see the bride," Hazel calls. 

When I step out from behind the curtain, into the pink-accented white room, wearing my white dress, with white light streaming in through white lace curtains, I'm convinced for a second I am in a dream, a dream where heaven is real, and I'm in it. But my cousin and best friend are here. Hazel and Cayenne both gasp as I step into view. 

Hazel is at a loss for words. "You look..."

"Stunning," Cayenne finishes.

"Angelic," Hazel adds on.

I stop in front of the full-length mirror, and suddenly the reality of it all hits me. I'm not just a girl playing dress up. This white off-the-shoulder gown, with sparkling embroidery like frost decorating the sheer overlay, and a shining solid underlay, with a humble train that trails like the shadow of an umbrella behind my feet, is not just a costume I'll put away in a trunk afterward. It's real. I'm a woman getting married today. 

"Even better than when you first tried it on," Cayenne comments. 

"She's got that pre-marriage glow," Hazel chimes in. 

I must look like a total narcissist, because I'm staring at my reflection, hardly blinking. But I'm still accepting that this isn't all a daydream. But the amount of highlighter on my cheekbones only adds to the illusion.

"How are you feeling?" Hazel asks me.

I manage to pull myself out of my daze to reply, "A little shocked. I can't believe it's my wedding day. I'm 20, living with the love of my life, and marrying him today. Am I insane?"

"Cory and Topanga did it before you," Cayenne answers with a shrug. 

"Are you having second thoughts?" Hazel wonders. 

I shake my head, slow but certain. "Not at all. That's why I'm scared. I'm so ready to be with him forever, a legally recognized couple. He's, like, perfect for me and makes me so happy. He's a part of me I never want to go without/"

"And if it doesn't work out, you can always get divorced," Cayenne mentions. Hazel gives her a look, and Cayenne quickly adds, "But it's gonna work out. You two are obviously made for each other."

I spin back to the mirror and take in the glowing and shimmering of my own image one more time. Unable to hold in my glee, I laugh and twirl, watching my dress float and fall again. I pause when I see my dads' reflections in the mirror, then turn to face them. 

"Are you ready..." Daddy's mouth drops open halfway through his sentence. "Oh, wow." He freezes, gazing over me and my dress. "TJ, our daughter is getting married."

"Yeah," Papa says with a breath. "I feel old." He steps forward a bit more and smiles at me as he says, "You look beautiful, Jayda."

"Thank you."

When I look at Daddy again, he has tears in his eyes. 

"Daddy, you're gonna have to pull yourself together. You kinda gotta walk me down the aisle in a few minutes."

He sniffles and wipes his cheeks, but the tears keep building. "I'll be ready. Don't worry."

At that, I let out a laugh and take both my dads' arms, ready for the next step.

Andreas's POV

My breath rattles as I stand at the end of the aisle, waiting for the procession to come forward. Both Jayda's family and mine are here, as well as our friends and their friends. My suit is crisp and wrinkle-free, and so far my sweat hasn't seeped through yet, so that's going well. Unsure what to do with my hands, I clasp them together in front of me—probably looks more formal than having them shoved in my pockets. I haven't seen Jayda since this morning, because Brayden kept telling me it's bad luck or whatever, but I just can't wait to see her again. But when I see her again, she's gonna look... I can't put my imagination to words. I just hope I can be a good husband for her. She deserves the best in the world. I don't know if that's me, but I'm going to try to be that for her. 

Jonah and Deion with their guitars, Bowie with his bass, and Bex on the piano play an instrumental version of "Falling" by Harry Styles: my and Jayda's song. While the song fills the summer air the groomsmen and bridesmaids proceed in down the aisle. My friends, Waleed and Britain come up to stand to my right, while Hazel and Cayenne go to the left, where Jayda will soon be standing. Austen is the flower girl, sprinkling purple and blue petals all over the white carpet, some floating farther and landing on the grass between the audience's legs. She walks up holding the hand of my brother, Declan, the ring bearer.  

As Austen and Declan move to the side at the front, Hazel leans a little toward me and whispers, "Just wait till you see her. You're gonna be speechless."

"I hope not, 'cause I gotta say I do."

"I don't think you'll have a problem with that one."

Then Jayda appears, and Hazel was so right. Even my mind can't piece together full sentences. Her dress...sparkle...an angel. She...like a fairy...a really hot fairy... Her hair and the sun and her eyes... She's looking at me... And goddamn she's gonna be my wife. 

Her arms are weaved with her dads' on both sides as they walk her down the aisle. I'm pretty sure I haven't blinked once since she showed up. Her eyelashes flutter when she does, though, and I feel like I did when I was 14 and she came down the stairs in that green dress for the school dance. She's grown, but she's only gotten more beautiful. 

"Told you," Hazel utters.

Finally, Jayda's dads let her go, and I reach my hand out. Jayda takes it, and my heart beats harder. 

"You look..." I still can't speak. 

She smiles, knowing what I'm trying to say. "You too."

The officiant begins to speak, but the entire time, I'm staring at my bride. I can't focus on anything but her, and I don't want to. But there are two words I do manage to get out: "I do." And she says them too. 

And then I hear it: "Mr. and Mrs. Driscoll. You may now kiss the bride."

I do just that, taking her jaw in my palm and lifting her lips to mine. Applause erupts, and I realize something. I'm not kissing my girlfriend or fiancée. I'm kissing my wife. 

A/N: That's a wrap. I hope you all enjoyed having a little more of their stories. Thanks to anyone who read these.