S2 E10.2: Roller Coaster

Amber's POV

After buying snow cones, Andi and I walk down a street of carnival games with Jonah and Walker. None of us are interested in the games, though. Rather, we stop to join a circle of people all watching a dancer in a red and white pinstriped dress and hair bow. She's part of the park's entertainment, doing tricks to a song while those around take photos and videos. When she does a kick, bringing her leg straight up by her face, the crowd ooohs and aahhs.

"She's really good," Jonah says between crunches of coloured ice

"Amber, can you do that?" Andi asks me.

"Yeah, you dance, right?" Walker recalls.

"Uh, yeah, but I don't dance much anymore, so I doubt I'd be as good still."

"Try," Andi says. "I'll hold your snow cone."

She takes my cone from me, and I sigh.

"Alright," I say.

I take a step back and try to move, bringing my leg up next to my head. Somehow, my jeans are stretchy enough to handle it, and I remain balanced there in a vertical split.

"That's amazing!" Jonah cheers.

"Wait," I say.

I lower my leg and try another trick I used to do. I bend over into a back bridge, then try walking forward like a spider. When I stand back up, I realize most of the crowd has changed gears, turning to watch me instead of the professional.

"Dance!" one person says.

I shake my head. "No, I'm..."

Then the chanting starts, spawning from a child and spreading through everyone until I can't ignore it. Giving them what they want, I begin free-styling my contemporary dance to the rest of the music playing, becoming energized by the clapping. I finish when the song ends, and there's a burst of applause before everyone moves on. But when I'm about to find my wife and friends again, I'm stopped by the approach of the professional dancer who looks upset.

"You trying to put me out of a job?" she interrogates. "I'm just trying to pay my mortgage, but of course some pretty, blonde woman has to come over here and do what I do but better."

I'm completely taken aback, responding, "I wasn't try to show you up."

Then a guest in the park passes by, really not helping my arguement by saying, "Adrenaline City should hire that dancer instead."

The professional grinds her teeth and looks at me again, growling, "You want this job?" She pulls out her hair bow and slaps it down in my hand. "It's yours. You have a show at Sunshine Stage at 4:00."

She marches away, and I'm left confused as to what I've just gotten into.

________________________________________

Cyrus's POV

Marty, Buffy, TJ, Cara, and Wyatt find Brayden and me at a picnic table together after they get off the ride. Cara and Wyatt are both shaking from the experience still, smiling wider than I've seen them before.

"That was exhilarating!" Cara screams.

"That means fun," Wyatt explains proudly.

"Yes, I know what exhilarating means," Brayden replies, closing his book to stand up.

"Let me feel proud for a moment," Wyatt says.

"You should go on the roller coaster," Cara tells Brayden.