S1 E4.3: Dad in Town

A/N: Trigger Warning: Mild transphobia.

Hazel's POV

Jayda and I eat our ice cream at a table in the food court. Her eyes keep wandering over to every cute boy that passes, but she doesn't do anything, because she already has a boyfriend. She hasn't looked at her phone this whole time, and honestly, it might be a record. Usually, she clings to that thing like it's her baby, but apparently helping me buy clothes is entertaining enough, and I can't help but feel a little good about that.

"You're going to look so hot in those outfits," Jayda says before consuming another spoonful of ice cream.

She eats ice cream the way the love interest in a romantic movie would, in dainty scoops at a time, and letting the spoon linger on her lips before bringing it back down.

"You think?" I respond.

"Definitely," she says. "All the boys are going to love you."

I look down at my bowl as I reply, "Well, it's not a boy who I want to think I look hot."

Jayda lights up at that. "Oooh! Is it a girl? A non-binary person?"

"It's a girl," I say.

"Oh my gosh! My little cousin has a crush!"

"I'm only younger than you by a year," I remind her.

"Whatever," she responds. "What's her name?"

"Camille. She's my friend."

"Oooh! Is she pretty?"

"Very," I answer. "Way prettier than me."

"What are you talking about?" Jayda questions. "Sure, you're a little nerdy sometimes, but you're definitely pretty."

"Not like you," I say. "You're beautiful and popular, and everyone likes you."

"That's true," she agrees with a smile, "but just because you're not popular, it doesn't mean you're not datable."

I shake my head. "I don't even know how to date, or how to ask her out for that matter. I tried talking to Andreas, but all he gave me was a bad pickup line."

"Yeah, that boy is way too confident," Jayda says with a laugh. "Let me just say there's a reason why he can't keep a girlfriend for more than two weeks."

I giggle and try another scoop of my ice cream.

"Don't worry so much about yourself," Jayda continues. "You'll be fine. And if this girl is already friends with you, then she must like something about you."

I smile at that. "Thanks, Jayda."

_________________________________________

Amber's POV

When the doorbell rings, I stand up in a flash from my chair in the living room where I've been sitting to talk with my family. That must be my dad. He's here. That means I need to talk to him. I really wish I could just fast forward now to get this over with.

Seeing my nervous look, TJ says, "I'll get it."

He opens the door, and my dad's familiar face steps in. He looks pretty much the same, with a golf shirt and shorts, except that his hairline is more receded now than it was eleven years ago, and his skin has more sunspots. Rather than going in for a hug, he gives his son a pat on the back as he smiles.

"Hey, there, bud," he says, "but I thought this was Amber's house."

I step forward, and his eyes look over to me.