S4 E2.1: Dada Deficiency

Andreas's POV

Breaking off from one of the main hallways in Grant is a tiny corridor leading to only the janitor's closet and a gender-neutral washroom. The corner of the walls disguise me while I wait for my girlfriend to pass by. When I see her approaching, a grin grows on my face, pushed up by her presence, and she tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Hey," I say. "I didn't interrupt anything good, did I?"

"We were watching Felix mumble a presentation on the Sistine Chapel while the girl in the desk in front of me wrote a Pope Julius X Michelangelo fanfiction," she replies. "You literally saved me."

"Good. Because I have a plan."

"A plan?" she repeats in surprise.

"Uh-huh," I confirm. "I planned it about ten minutes ago, but still a plan."

I hook my hand around hers, and she spins on her toes as I pull her around back out to the main hallway. We take the usual path: the right side stairwell that no one uses. Her thin heels make shallow clicks as she trots down the steps with me. At the ground level, an emergency exit interrupts the stairwell, and that's the one we take to get outside.

The sun blares down on us, but nobody's out here to see us at this time. Jayda comes out the door after me, holding my hand tight, and seizing the opportunity, I swing her into me and kiss her lips. The on-a-whim action solidifies as Jayda steps forward, backing me against the brick wall of the building, her lips maintaining their spell on me. When the spiral of spontaneity fizzles, I lift my hand and brush behind her shoulder the hair that's fallen in front.

"So what's this plan?" Jayda wonders.

"Uh, Starbucks?"

"You didn't have a plan."

"Nope."

I take her hand again and start strolling down the path toward the parking lot. She soon adjusts her fingers to interlace between mine, triggering butterflies that I might as well name at this point.

Right when we're about to touch the parking lot pavement, we freeze, seeing a teacher we know, Mrs. LaPrade, coming our direction from her own car.

"Mr. Driscoll and Miss Kippen," she says, folding her arms over her chest. "Someone better be dying for you two to be out of class again. Go back inside."

"In class, I might as well be dying," Jayda grumbles.

"What's that, Miss Kippen?" Mrs. LaPrade says, hardening her glare.

"Huh?" Jayda chirps innocently.

I hold in my laughter as I step back, pulling Jayda with me. She turns around and trudges back toward the school, annoyed, but I kinda find it cute.

"Damn it," she huffs.

"We'll go another time," I tell her.

"Yeah, but another time isn't this time," she complains. "Why is time so stupid and temporary?"

We open the doors to reenter the school, the main doors this time, since the side ones are always locked from the outside. In the foyer, I turn to her and smile, contrasting her disappointment.

"On the bright side," I say, "I bet Felix will be done his presentation."

"That is a very bright side," she responds with a chuckle.

She rises on her tip toes to kiss my cheek before backing away, waving as she heads off in opposite directions.

________________________________________