S1 E8.2: Flower Girl

Walker's POV

By the time Jonah and I get to the venue, there are already many people mingling amongst themselves outside, waiting for the ceremony to begin. Jonah and I are dressed to the nines in our tuxes, but some of the other guests here in their suits and dresses are really outshining us.

"Is it weird going to the wedding of a girl you dated in middle school?" I ask my husband.

"No weirder than Andi and Amber's wedding," he replies.

He glances around at all the people, but then he freezes at the sight of one woman with ginger hair, but she's not one of the brides.

"Uh, let's go through a different door," Jonah says.

He reaches for my arm and starts pulling me back toward the parking lot, but I keep my feet sturdy on the floor, making him circle back to me.

"There's only one door," I tell him. "What are you trying to avoid?"

"That's Libby's sister," Jonah says, nodding toward the ginger.

"And...?"

"When I was dating Libby, something happened. I won't say what, but it was bad."

"Bad enough to make you want to detour through an imaginary door?"

"Yes," he confirms.

________________________________________

Jayda's POV

"Are you sure about this?" Andreas asks.

I'm peaking into the room where the bridesmaid went to sit. Inside are a bunch of fake plants around mismatched furniture, and photos on the walls. It's empty, since most of the guests are all in the banquet hall or foyer at the moment. This is the perfect opportunity to talk to the bridesmaid without any distractions, and I'm honestly offended that Andreas is questioning my choice.

"Yes," I answer.

He starts to talk again, but I ignore him, going up to the bridesmaid instead, and giving her a smile, while Andreas stays in the doorway.

"Hi," I say. "I'm Jayda, and you look amazing."

"Oh, thank you," she responds kindly. "So do you."

I look down at my own ruby red bodycon dress, saying, "Thank you."

"How do you know the brides?" the bridesmaid, who's name was Maria if I recall correctly, asks.

"Oh, my aunts are close friends with them. Also, my dad dated one in middle school, and my uncle dated the other."

"Oh," she responds, furrowing her eyebrows. "That's...weird."

"I know, right," I agree cheerfully. "I was planning to bring my boyfriend as my plus one, but we broke up."

I wasn't planning on that. Even if Jeremy and I didn't break up, he was never much of a respectful event kind of guy. But I'm trying to steer the conversation where I need it to go.

Maria's eyes go sympathetic. "Oh, I'm sorry."

"It's okay. It was for the best. He was an artist, and my parents didn't want me to be with him."

That's all it takes to open the dam, for she begins to spill about herself, saying, "Wow. I'm actually in a similar situation."

"Really?" I respond, resting my elbow on my knee and leaning in. "Say more."

________________________________________

Buffy's POV

I've been holding Cara's hand this whole time, making sure she doesn't get into trouble. I have no idea where Brayden and Andreas are, but they're not featured in the wedding, so I don't care if they get their clothes dirty. Marty walks alongside me and our daughter into the banquet hall where two giant pots of assorted flowers frame the entryway. Our of the corner of my eye, I see Cara running her hand over the blossoms, and then she holds her palm up with a gasp.