S2 E14.1: Better Suited

Cyrus's POV

My eyes flutter open into the summer daylight streaming in, but when I roll over, TJ isn't there beside me. Groggy, I push myself up, but my sleepiness vanishes the instant TJ comes out of the washroom in jeans and missing a shirt. The lighting plays on the ripples of his muscles, defining every groove, and making his body a sort of light show for me to admire.

"Hi," I say.

TJ grins and approaches the bed then leans down to kiss me. Like molasses, our lips slowly drip apart, clinging on as long as they can before letting go.

"Happy anniversary," TJ says.

"To you as well."

TJ steps away and opens the chest to grab a shirt and pull it over his head. Naturally, I end up staring.

"You should keep the shirt off," I tell him.

He grins as he turns around, saying, "I would, but I actually have somewhere to be, and you do too."

"Where?"

"I thought because this is a special year, we could do something special."

"Eighteen is a special year?"

"Every year with you is special."

That's so soft it makes me smile even softer.

"How do you feel about renewing our vows?" he asks.

"That's the sweetest idea ever," I fawn.

"Yeah?"

Rather than answer, I climb out of bed and go over to kiss him again.

________________________________________

Marty's POV

When Buffy and I enter the basement, the picture I see is the exact one Buffy said it would be.

"You were right," I tell her. "They're in these exact positions."

Andreas is busy gaming on the couch. Brayden is on another chair, reading a book. And Cara is sitting on the carpet at the coffee table, colouring her sketchbook beside Andreas's propped-up feet.

"Okay, listen up," I say.

The gunshots of the video game don't stop, and Andreas doesn't even give me a glance.

"Andreas, as much as I want that robot's head to explode too, you gotta pause."

He sighs and does as asked before removing his headphones and turning to face me and his mom.

"So Cyrus and TJ are renewing their vows today," I explain, "and we've all got to go and support them."

Brayden is the first to respond, saying, "Uncle TJ likes to think he's better than his mother at giving notice, but lately, all the events he's planned have been done so the morning of."

"Although that's true," Buffy agrees, "we still have to be there."

"Do we have to dress up?" Andreas asks.

"I'd like it if you didn't wear jeans and a T-shirt," Buffy answers.

"Cool," our oldest responds. "Sweatpants, then."

"Uh, no," Buffy shuts down. "Something decently nice."

"If we're dressing nice," Cara chimes in, "then I want a suit. You promised at Monsoon's funeral, remember?"

"Did I make that promise?" Buffy wonders, looking at me.

I shrug. "I don't know. I was too busy being sad about you hating my motorcycle."