S2 E10.3: Roller Coaster

Marty's POV

After looking at every stand that sells sugary food, we eventually made our way to the last resort: Guest Services. The building is painted purple with a tall door and an asymmetrical-shaped window. Since I know this park like my own home, I know that here we'll be able to get security to help search for our daughter. Buffy's worried enough for the both of us, so I do my best to remain composed as we enter in. Turns out we don't even need to talk to the employees at the desk, for we spot Cara sitting on one of the chairs, writing on a piece of paper.

"Cara!" Buffy says." What are you doing? You can't run off!"

Both of us hurry up to the girl who remains unfazed even as her mom lassos her in a hug.

"I'm getting a job," Cara replies.

Buffy lets her go, and we both look down at the paper she has in her lap.

"You're filling out a job application?" I say. "What position?"

"Head chef at one of the park's restaurants," Cara answers.

"You can't do that," Buffy states.

"Yeah," I agree. "You need one to two years experience."

"Cara," Buffy cuts back in, "we admire your initiative, but you scared us."

"Look," she says with an exhausted breath, "all I want is ice cream. What do I have to do to get that?"

I look over at Buffy who meets my eyes. It takes a moment, but eventually, I can tell that she knows that I'm not going to do what she wants, and she accepts that. What's the harm in a little more sugar anyway? I ate way too much sugar as a kid, and I'm fine.

"Okay, you can have ice cream," I say.

Cara leaps out of her chair, cheering, "Thank you!"

She does a twirl before running toward the door to leave Guest Services, and I look over at my wife who has her arms crossed.

"You mad at me?" I ask.

"No," she responds then takes a step ahead, leaning in once more to say, "because you'll be cooking dinner tonight."

________________________________________

Andi's POV

"This isn't how I thought we'd spend today," Walker says, "but I have to say I am thoroughly entertained."

He stands with Jonah and me backstage of Sunshine Stage where all the dancers are rehearsing in a huge, mirrored room. Among them is Amber who is trying to learn the moves at the last minute. She's not even getting paid for this, but she's putting all her effort into it. There also happens to be a kitchen attached to this building, so people keep coming by with food and treats that we're allowed to take for reasons I don't know, but I'm not dumb enough to question it.

"Yeah, I thought there'd be a few more rides," Jonah says, "but the free food is nice."

At that thought, someone comes by pushing a cart of candy apples, and all three of us reach out to take one each. I take a bite through the sweet, red candy, into the sourness of the juicy apple.

"Too bad Amber just got a new job," I comment. "I wouldn't mind her working here."

________________________________________

Cyrus's POV

So Andi, Amber, Jonah, and Walker are still off doing something I'm eager to learn what at 4:00. Andreas and Hazel are still on their own, and Jayda and Oceana are somewhere, but they've all been informed of the 4:00 plans. While the rest of us walk to the next ride, Brayden begins talking to me, and I listen happily, since he doesn't talk to people much, and this is kind of a rare moment.