S1 E7.3: He Said

Marty's POV

When I go downstairs, I see Wyatt waiting by the door. Aside from how he got in here, which I'd rather not ask, because I probably left the door unlocked, and I don't want Buffy to hear that from upstairs, my main question is what he's doing here. 

"Hey, Wyatt. Um, are your dads here?"

"No," he replies. "I'm here for work."

"What—?"

All of a sudden, Brayden comes prancing down the stairs behind me, saying, "Ah, my employee's here. You're late!"

"Sorry," Wyatt says. "I saw a squirrel climbing a tree on the way here, and it was just looking for a challenge."

Brayden goes up to Wyatt and scans the dirt on the boy's jeans, replying, "I can see that."

"Okay, what do you mean he's your employee?" I step in.

Buffy explained the newspaper business to me, but she never mentioned anything about our son putting other kids to work for him. 

"He's selling papers for me," Brayden explains. "Don't worry. He's being paid on commission."

I look at Wyatt. "Wyatt, are you okay with this?"

"Yeah, it's great," the boy responds with a grin. "The old ladies always tell me how handsome I am, and sometimes I even get cookies."

"Anyway," Brayden cuts in, "we've got to get going. Can't keep the customers waiting. That's bad for business."

"Oh, by the way," Wyatt says to Brayden, "yesterday Marge told me that Bertha who lives on the corner died."

Brayden's eyes go dim. "Oh, man. That's fifty dollars gone."

"Fifty dollars?" I exclaim. 

"Well," Brayden says as he opens the front door for him and Wyatt to leave, "let's go make the rest of our money."

________________________________________

Andi's POV

Jonah notices me when I walk into Red Rooster Records, and right away I buzz up to the first set of records I see and begin browsing through them. 

"Andi?" Jonah says as he approaches me. "What are you doing here?"

"Uh, I'm looking at records," I answer. 

"You don't have a record player."

I was hoping he wouldn't know that. 

"Then I'm also looking at record players," I say with a smile. 

"At the same time as Marcus's lesson?"

"Oh, is it?" I respond, trying to laugh casually, but it comes out sounding awkward. "Crazy coincidence."

Jonah shakes his head. "You need to stay out of his business."

"I am," I lie. 

When the door opens again, Jonah's attention is turned as his 7:00 lesson walks in. He goes over to greet Marcus and Marcus's father. While Jonah begins the lesson, the dad wanders over to the selection of records near me, and I take that as a sign from the universe that I'm supposed to talk to him. I watch as he picks up a blank album case and examines it. 

"Oh my gosh!" I say excitedly. "The Beatles! I love them!"

"Really?" he responds, looking up at me. "You like the white album?"

I didn't realize that's what it was called, but I guess I'm going with it. 

"Of course!" I say. "I love all their stuff! Like the white album and the...purple album..."