S1 E12.3: A New Friend

Buffy's POV

All I came here for was a granola bar, but when I enter the room, I get the sight of a kitchen covered in stickiness while my two kids blend their concoction and peel lemons.

"Making more?" I say.

"Business is booming!" Cara cheers. "We're gonna make so much money and become part of the top 1% of society."

"Not really what I want to hear, but okay."

I head toward the pantry, but Cara's scream whips me back around. However, she's not bleeding or hurt like I feared.

"We're out of pudding!" she shouts.

"We can't be!" Brayden yells back. "We have fifty cups of lemonade on backorder."

"See for yourself," Cara says.

Brayden goes over to the counter where a pile of empty pudding cups sits and examines it over.

"Welp," he says, "we're bankrupt."

"We had a good run," Cara says.

With the kitchen in a disaster state, both kids simply turn and exit, not wasting a single second to dwell, nor to clean up.

_______________________________________

Walker's POV

When I step into the living room, Jonah is just finishing putting a picture of us into the picture frame on the wall. The stock photo is crumpled a little in his hand while he rehangs the frame, which is fine. I mean, we're just gonna recycle the paper anyway.

"Finally getting this swapped out," Jonah says.

"Awesome," I respond.

He steps back, and I go up to see which photo he's chosen. It's one of us sitting on the steps leading to our front door together, my arm around him and pulling him close. There are four steps, and we're taking up two of them, but I can't help but notice how bare the bottom two look with their paint chipped away from age.

"Jonah?" I speak up and spin around to face him. "You don't want kids, right?"

"No, I'm good," he assures me. "We're good. I have everything I could ever need, and we're 38. It seems kinda late for that anyway. You don't want kids, right?"

"No, no, I'm good too."

Well, what else am I going to say? Kids are a big choice, and we would have to be on the same page. I guess we are. I mean, he's kinda right, I guess. I have everything I need right here with him. That, I know. He's all I need. But I guess I just wonder what life would be like if I had more.

"Cool," Jonah says.

"Cool."

A moment of quiet.

"Wanna watch a movie tonight?" he asks.

"Sure," I reply, trying not to let my feelings run into my tone. "I'll get the popcorn."

_______________________________________

Cyrus's POV

Shouting from the chefs in the kitchen chimes through the racket of clinking dishes and chatter around us, but it doesn't distract Kadence from finishing his story. I can feel the tension radiating from TJ, but I only hope he won't do anything stupid. I trust him and all, but he can get defensive, specifically when it comes to me.

"Yeah, I did a year of massage therapy in college," Kadence explains with a grin. "People always tell me how I'm really good with my hands."

"So am I," TJ responds, and I almost choke on the water I'm sipping, resulting in me coughing.