S2 E13.1: The E in Hazel

Brayden's POV

The jumble of students passes by like schools of fish, but I remain at my locker, neatly packing my books onto the shelf like a game of Tetris. There's no space to waste, so I make every millimetre count. I do plan to take some of these books home, but I often forget when they're shoved so tightly into the tiny compartment. A familiar voice draws my attention away from my locker for a moment, and my eyes latch onto Deion's of who is walking with a couple of his friends, but seeing me, he stops, letting himself fall behind the flow of the others then comes my way. I smile and continue putting my stack of books away as he leans against the locker beside me.

"Hi," I say.

"Hey," he responds. "Uh, I finished that book you lent me."

"You're proving the disbelievers wrong," I comment.

"Because I finished a book?"

"Because you can read," I tease.

Deion grins at that, or just at me. It's unclear which.

"Did you like it?" I ask.

"I'm gonna be honest, I had to look up about every fourth word in a dictionary, which I didn't even know I owned before I went looking, so lots of the story was lost on me, but I think I got the general idea."

"And that was...?"

"That even the best person can forget their morals when given power," he answers proudly.

I smile, happy for him as well. Who knew he would end up enjoying the same books as me? I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.

"Did you listen to the record I lent you?" Deion asks.

"I did. I didn't expect it to be jazz, but it was good. I think I found my new study music."

"Yeah, my grandpa played in a jazz band," he explains. "I never knew him, but I tried to learn as much as I could about him."

"Is that why you play the guitar?" I wonder.

"Yeah, uh, I don't know. It makes me feel kinda...connected to him, I guess."

The rattle of the school bell defines the end of our conversation, and I shut my locker then bend down to pick up the books that I'll need for class that I sat on the floor.

"You heading to class?" Deion asks me.

"Where else would I be going?"

"Right. You're not me."

That makes me smile, and we set off for history class together. Once arrived, the two of us split to find our seats, him at the back, and me behind my friends who give analytical stink eyes to Deion as I sit.

"I still can't believe you talk to that imbecile," Linny states.

"He's not that malign once you get to know him," I insist.

"Either way, I'm not comfortable with you two being friends," Kelsey rebuts.

"I appreciate your protectiveness, but it's superfluous in this situation."

"Has he even apologized for being mean to you for so long?" Kelsey challenges.

I sink into soundless consideration, dreading the actual answer. No, he hasn't. Not once has he mentioned feeling any form of remorse for his actions. But he's different. He's positively not the same as before. But never has he acknowledged that. I wonder why.

"Yeah," Kelsey huffs. "That's what I figured."

________________________________________

Andi's POV