Short Episode 2: Calm

Andi's POV

I lean forward on the living room couch to get a view out the window when I hear the hum of a vehicle pull up. The mint green Nissan Figaro is unmistakable and belongs to our daughter's girlfriend. As she halts next to a thin split in the tightly-packed cars, I do the math in my head, trying to figure out whether she has enough room. 

"I might have to move my car," I mention to my wife who sits next to me on the sofa. "I don't think there's space."

I'm proven wrong when Linny manages to smoothly maneuver the vehicle into the slot I wouldn't even try to fit into. Then car engine flutters quiet, and Linny hops out of the driver's side. 

"I guess not," I correct myself. 

Amber tilts her head as she inspects the parking job. "That girl's one hell of a parallel parker."

Our front door comes swinging open, letting in the crisp air of October which lifts the hem of Linny's toffee-coloured dress as she enters. 

"Hello," she greets us.

Amber and I both say hi too, and Linny finds her way down the hall to Hazel's room.

Hazel's POV

I look up from my phone when I see Linny's blue eyes sparkle in the doorway.

"Hi," she says in her voice like floating dandelion seeds. She tucks a loose strand of her sandy hair behind her ear. The rest of the locks are tied in a french braid, a pearl-beaded hair tie holding it together. She comes over to where I am on my bed and sits criss-cross facing me atop the bedding. 

"Hi," I reply. "How was drama club?"

"I've memorized all the songs," she answers humbly.

"You are one talented costume director."

My girlfriend smiles, her eyelashes fluttering as she looks down and back to me. "Miss Lou keeps asking me to take a lead role."

"Because you're an incredible singer and actor," I gush, "and not to mention the most beautiful girl ever."

Her smile spreads more at that comment, but I can see she's trying to keep it semi-contained. 

"Maybe in the spring," she says. "I wouldn't give up creating these Shakespearean costumes. If I was gone, the job would go to Xana. She can't tell apart a farthingale and a bustle." 

I smile at the humour in that, because I know the only reason I can tell a farthingale and a bustle apart is because Linny's taught me the difference. 

"Anyway," Linny says, twisting to reach into her purse, "I brought..." She pulls out two bottles of butterscotch soda. 

I take the one she hands me. "Thank you."

"I figured you'd be nervous."

"Yeah," I say in a breath. My stomach is feels anxious and bubbly, like it's stealing some of the carbonation from the soda. "I should be getting an email any time this evening. It's a paid internship at a psychology journal. I want it so bad."

"You would do amazing."

"I just need to relax." I take a breath, but that only adds to the fizzing nerves inside me. "I can't relax. How do I relax?"

Linny ponders for a moment, watching the worry fester on my face. Then I notice a lightbulb go off in her brain.

"Here," she says softly. "Give me your hands."

I let her take each of my hands in her hold, her warm skin, wrapping my fingers. She begins swinging our arms like ropes together and apart, together, apart. The motion continues, tempo steady. I've seen her stim before, of course, but apart from the subconscious ones like tapping my fingernails together, I've never thought to do it on purpose. I quickly sink into the repetition of the action. It soothes my nerves and slows my breath, the anxiety dissipating. 

Linny's eyes open and find mine. "Calmer?"

I nod, keeping my hands with hers, although they swing a little gentler now, gravity doing most of the rocking. From the sky of her eyes, my focus trickles down her cheeks, landing on her glittering lips. 

"What flavour lipgloss is that?" I ask. 

Linny deciphers my question with ease. "You want to kiss me?"

I nod. "May I?"

"You may."

She smiles and leans in to press her lips to mine, gentle and precise like a butterfly stopped to rest on a blossom. Cutting our kiss short is a ding from my phone, an email. Linny backs away, allowing me to check my phone, just as eager as me to find out the results. I tap open the email and read it through, my eyes growing wider with each word. 

When I finish, I bring my eyes up to Linny and tell her the news, "I start Saturday!"

"See, you're amazing!" she cheers. 

I lock my phone again, letting the screen go dark, but my smile only brightens as I give my attention back to my girlfriend.

"You want another kiss?" she asks, noticing my deliberate gaze.

"Yes, please," I reply and lean back in to kiss her again.

A/N: I hope you guys liked this chapter. I really love Linny's character, and I wish I had had more time to expand her further during the story, but I hope this little bit is nice. Thank you, my lovelies. Have a good day!