S3 E5.2: Pink Town

Jayda's POV

It sounds totally stupid, but this is like television for me. Andreas is looking at the road, but I'm leaning my elbow against the open window ledge, propping up my head as I watch him drive. He combs his hand through his hair after the breeze blows it in his eyes, careful not to separate any of the curls. As he steers around a bend, his arms flex, pressing the veins into sight, making me follow each muscle like a stream to his hands. One grips the steering wheel tight while the other taps on the car door, matching the rhythm of the song playing through the stereo. He doesn't have bluetooth or an AUX input, so in order for him to play music from his phone, he has to link it up to this little device that turns his phone's connection into a radio station that Andreas then has to find on his car stereo. The sound is choppy and staticky like listening to carbonated water, but I still can't decide whether I hate it or love it. The next song that plays is an R & B song. I feel myself slipping into its smooth tune like water in canola oil, and I realize that I've had my mind on this boy for a dangerous amount of time, and I need to find air now before I hit the bottom.

"I don't go out of town that much," I say, just needing to say something.

"Well, you can hardly drive, so I'm glad you don't," Andreas responds with a laugh. "I'd rather not have to pick you up after your car breaks down in the middle of the country."

"You wouldn't do that anyway," I reason.

But then, rather than agree with me, he just tilts his head and shrugs. He would do that for me.

"No," Brayden cuts in from the back, "if he would drive me to Didsbury, I believe he would pick you up off the side of the highway. He has already proclaimed that he pefers you."

I look at Andreas. That can't be true. I'm just a girl, just me, not someone he should care that much for.

"You don't try to give me history lessons while we drive," Andreas tells me.

"I only tell you the interesting information," Brayden argues.

"Do you think the inventor of the hand-held vegetable peeler is interesting?" Andreas asks me.

"I don't know," I respond. "Peeling things is pretty important."

"You don't need to peel anything," Andreas denies. "Just eat vegetables with the skin on."

"What about potatoes?" I ask.

"What about them?"

"The skin is gross."

"You can't peel a potato, though. You'd get rid of the best part."

"The outside is not the best part," I state definitively. "It's what's inside that counts."

"That definitely doesn't apply to this," Andreas replies with a chuckle, flickering his eyes between me and the highway.

"I think it does," I insist.

"No. That's for people, not vegetables."

I grin as I continue with my arguement, saying, "You can't cherry pick."

"You may want to Google what that means," Brayden interrupts, "because I assure you you are not using it in the correct context."

"If Brayden says it, then it must be right," Andreas says.

"You're teaming up against me now?" I joke.

"No," Andreas denies. "I'm disagreeing."

"Feels like teaming up."

"Hey, the only team I'm on is yours."

Such a simple statement, yet so loaded. But he shoots it out like a bullet made of foam rather than something that could alter a life. Or make me feel like a spinning maple seed, winding in a way that tickles my insides and makes him the only thing in my sight. I wonder if he meant that to be so big. Then again, I don't see how it could not be. I don't know how he could flick his eyes at me the way he is and not realize how huge that was. He must know. And even though I don't know if he knows, I find myself wanting more of an explanation.