S4 E9.2: Hotel

Amber's POV

TJ tries to head for the door, but I block his way, not letting him get out of this.

"So you're a liar," I say, folding my arms over my chest.

He has to project his voice quite a bit for it to break above the rest of the conversing occurring in this hotel room.

"My car wasn't cheaper than yours," he admits, "but you kept bragging about how you could afford, like, a diamond-etched watch with the money you saved."

I shake my head, ignoring his shot. "I can't believe my brother's a liar."

"Come on. What about all the times you've 'baked' for us?" He adds finger quotes to disrespect me further.

"That's completely different!" I argue.

"No, I'm pretty sure it's the same."

I roll my eyes like we're annoyed teenagers again. I thought we'd gotten past this dishonesty with each other, but I'm obviously wrong.

Jonah's POV

Walker sits on a sofa chair, his hands clasped together, looking like he's deep in thought. I hate to interrupt that, but I hope he won't mind. I sink down into the seat next to him. His sight flicks to me before returning ahead.

"Hey, it's okay," I tell him. "You're not that strict."

I'm only lying a little. He can be pretty strict with Austen, but I don't want him to feel bad about it.

In response, he turns his head to me and states, "I know that. But now I'm realizing that you do get her everything she wants."

This shift in blame catches me off guard. I'm in trouble now? But I only want to make Austen happy. It's not fair. He could be easier on her if he wanted to, but he's getting mad at me instead.

"Not everything," I deny.

"Jonah, I can't remember a single time you said no to buying her a toy she asked for."

"Not true. I said no to the power drill," I combat.

He raises his eyebrows at me. "If you'd said yes, I would've been very concerned. Have you ever said no to her when it wasn't life-threatening?"

"Absolutely."

Suddenly, Austen scurries up to our chairs and turns to face me with her cute little smile. She fiddles with the seam on her shirt while swaying back and forth and asking me a question.

"Poppy, can I have muffin?"

"Sure."

Happy, she skips away to go play elsewhere in the crowded hotel room. When Walker gives me a glare, I realize my mistake.

"That doesn't count," I state.

Cara's POV

Outside the window of our little bubble of a room, trees sway faintly as the sun expels the moon. People with backpacks and hiking sticks leave the parking lot, heading left for the mountains, while others with sandals and animal-printed purses weave right toward the town. Personally, I'm one for the mountains, where pine needles fall and waterfalls form natural fountains, clouding any chance of silence. I like that no matter what, nature is always changing, and nobody tries to tell it to stop.

"Ah, yes. Hello, Brayden," I say at the rustle of footsteps on the carpet. I pivot my seated position on the window sill and direct my eyes at my brother. "I've been expecting you."

"How'd you know it was me?" he asks.

"Psychic abilities," I respond casually.

He rolls his eyes like brown yarn on a spindle. "Don't start saying that. It's annoying enough when Jayda says it."